Recipe: Caramel Pudding
Try making this classic dessert at home today!
4 cups full cream milk (approx 1 liter)
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
Prepare a mould/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups for the custard by greasing very lightly with butter.
Heat 1/2 cup of sugar with 1 tsp of water in a pan till it melts and turns golden brown. Pour this caramelised sugar into the pudding mould/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups and swirl to coat the sides of the mould. Keep aside to cool.
If baking, preheat your oven now to 350 F/ 180 C/ Gas Mark 4.
Mix the eggs and remaining sugar together in a large bowl and blend till all the sugar has dissolved. Now add the milk, vanilla essence and nutmeg and blend again.
Pour this mixture into the mould/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups you are using, to fill them 3/4 of the way to the top.
If baking: Place the mould/ pudding cups/ ramekin cups in a large, deep baking pan. Pour hot water into the baking pan till it is about 1" below the rim of the moulds.
If steaming in a pressure cooker: It is advisable to use one mould in this case. Place the mould in the pressure cooker - elevate the mould with a pressure cooker ring (or overturned flat-bottomed metal bowl). Pour water very carefully into the pressure cooker till it is about 2" below the rim of the mould.
If baking in an oven: Cook for about 45 minutes or till the custard is firm. Test by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean the pudding is done.
If steaming in a pressure cooker: Cook for half an hour and then check for doneness as above.
When cooked, cool the pudding and then chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
To serve, place a plate over the mould/ pudding cup/ ramekin cup, hold firmly in place and turn over gently. The pudding will turn over onto the plate, caramel side up! Pour some of the remaining caramel (if any) over the pudding and serve.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Spanish director Vicente Aranda dies at 88
- Know about Vidya Balan's 'Adhuri Kahani'
- Arpita wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Ranveer missed Bhansali on 'Dil Dhadakne Do' sets
- Ricky Kej grateful to everyone who felt his music
- Newcomer Monica Sehgal gets taste of her popularity
- Akshay cosies up with Amy in 'Singh is Bliing'
- Sidharth Malhotra, Kriti Sanon 'As I Am' music anthem becomes a rage
- I will be back in Nepal with my children: Susan Sarandon
- BB King's death to be investigated as murder
- Get beach ready with easy hairstyles
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo