Recipe: Chicken Dum Biryani
• ½ kg Chicken
• 450 gm Basmati Rice (washed & drained)
• 3 Green Cardamoms (Elaichi)
• ½ tsp Mace (Javitri)(ground)
• ¼ tsp Nutmeg (Jaifal)(grated)
• 3 Cloves (Lavang)
• 1 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
• 2 Whole Star Anise
• 2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
• 2 cups thick Curd (Yogurt)
• 4 tbsp Tomato Paste
• 1 big Onion (sliced)
• 2 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
• 2 tbsp Chilly Powder
• a pinch of Saffron (dissolved in 2 tbsp warm milk)
• Salt to taste
• 8 tbsp Oil
• 2 tbsp Ghee
• 6 cups Water
How to make
Take curd, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala, tomato paste, chilly powder, nutmeg, mace, and salt in a bowl and mix into a paste.
Marinate the chicken with the paste and keep it to the side for 3-4 hours.
Put water in a pot and get it to boil.
Heat ghee in a pan and crackle star anise, cardamoms, cloves & cinnamon.
Stir in rice and fry it for 4-5 minutes.
Add the rice to the boiling water, sprinkle a pinch of salt and cook until rice is ¾ cooked.
Strain the rice using colander.
Take 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry onion until it is golden brown. Remove the onion and keep it to the side.
Pour in the remaining oil into the pan and cook the chicken for 6-7 minutes or until it discharges oil.
Mix in rice and add fried onion, ghee and saffron.
Now cover the pan with aluminium foil and set the pan over another pan. Cook on high flame for 5 minutes.
Reduce the flame to medium and cook for about 20 minutes.
Take off the heat and serve hot.