Recipe: Chickpeas in Tomato Glaze
These savoury, butter–soft chickpeas coated with spiced tomato glaze are delicious.
¼ cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
1½ teaspoons cumin seeds
1½ teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1½ teaspoons minced fresh chilies
10 fresh curry leaves
1¾ cups fresh tomato puree
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ cup fresh coriander leaves or parsley, chopped
1¼ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon extra olive oil
Drain the chickpeas and boil them in 5 cups unsalted water for 1 hour, or until soft.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat. When hot, drop in the mustard seeds and fry until they crackle. Drop in the cumin, and fry until a few shades darker. Add the curry leaves, fry until they crackle, then stir-in the ginger and chilies, stirring for a minute or two, or until fully aromatic.
Pour in the tomato puree, add the turmeric, and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the oil oozes out and the tomato reduction is thick and saucy.
Drain the chickpeas, and add them to the tomato sauce. Cook for a few more minutes, add the fresh herbs, salt, and extra oil. Serve hot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss, Day 45: Kanwaljeet’s ‘racist’ comment irks Priya; inmates celebrate Rochelle’s birthday!
- Michael Caine named Britain's greatest living movie star
- Aamir's contribution towards cinema is immense: Gracy Singh
- Bigg Boss: Keith Sequeira makes a comeback
- 'Dilwale' inspires Shah Rukh Khan, makes him tweet about life!