Chana dal mixed with minced meat makes for an awesome dish!
500 gms Minced Meat
100 gms Chana Dal, soaked for 1 hour
225 gms Onions
20 gms Ginger
10 gms Garlic
1 tsp Poppy seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tbsp Coriander seeds
1 inch piece Cinnamon
4 Red Chillies
1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder
1 bunch Fresh Coriander Leaves
1 tbsp Tamarind pulp
5 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
1. Roast and powder coriander seeds, cumin seeds and red chillies.
2. Grind together ginger-garlic. Grind coconut and poppy seeds separately.
3. Chop the onions finely.
4. Put the minced meat into a vessel, add the masala powder, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder and chopped onions. Cook over modern heat until the meat is tender.
5. Add chana dal along with the water in which it was soaked. When the dal is cooked, add the coconut and poppy paste and salt, diluted in a cup of water. Simmer for half an hour.
6. Add tamarind pulp and simmer for another 5-10 minutes. If the gravy gets thick, add some more water and bring to a boil.
7. Add chopped coriander leaves, remove from fire.
8. Heat a little oil in a pan, add 1 chopped onion, cloves and cinnamon. When onions get browned, pour a spoon of the gravy into the frying pan.
9. Mix well and add to the curry.