Recipe: Fish Biryani
Try out this spicy and delicious fish biryani.
450 grams rohu
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 piece ginger fresh, peeled
1 tsp ajwain seeds
4 green chillies
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
Salt, as per taste
10 green cardamoms
4 black cardamoms
10 pieces black pepper
1 piece cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
½ cup ghee/ cooking oil
6 green chilli, finely chopped
2 tsp fresh coriander leaves
2 tsp fresh mint leaves
Yellow food colour
Wash the fish and pat dry and cut into 1 inch pieces. In a blender grind the garlic ginger and chillies to a fine paste. Mix the paste with salt, chilli powder and ajwain. Smear the fish pieces with spice paste. Keep them aside for at least 2 hours
In the meantime heat the oil in a shallow frying pan, add the cumin seeds. Add the chopped onions and stirring frequently; fry them to a rich golden colour. Add the chopped tomatoes, still stirring frequently, fry the onions for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp. Add a little water, if necessary, to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Keep frying until the oil begins to separate.
Add the fish and stir well to coat it with the tomato mixture. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 15 minutes until the fish is tender. Sprinkle with finely chopped coriander. Keep warm.
Soak the rice in water for half an hour. In another pan boil the rice with 2-3 tsp. of salt and plenty of water .when the rice is 3\4 cooked, drain the water. Add 2 tbsp butter and fluff with a fork to prevent the rice from sticking. Keep rice to one side.
In a large pan place layer of rice at the bottom and then a layer of fish mixture. Sprinkle the coriander and mint leaves over the top layer of the rice Pour 1\2 cup water and seeds of cardamom over the rice. Do not stir. Mix the food colour with a little water and sprinkle over the rice.
Cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to cook for 20 minutes until the rice are cooked.
Once the dish is cooked, leave it covered for a few minutes then remove the lid, fluff up the rice with a fork. Serve hot with Raita.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Feel sad to not see KKR at Eden: Shah Rukh Khan
- Anushka Sharma feels 'terrible' on being sick, misses fun with DDD boys
- Anil Kapoor, Ranveer Singh cheer for MI, Farhan Akhtar wants to catch a sixer
- Anushka Sharma has evolved as an actor, person: Ranveer Singh
- Haryana to set up three museums
- 'Mohenjodaro' wraps up 101 days of shoot in Bhuj
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' a world-class film: Anil Kapoor
- Every single child is unique: Priyanka Chopra
- Salman Khan to attend sister's reception in Himachal
- 'Andaaz' clocks 12 years; Priyanka Chopra, Lara Dutta nostalgic
- Dwayne Johnson sets selfie world record
- Weekend special Recipe: Chilly Garlic Fish
- Recipe: Pesto Fish Kebabs
- Recipe: Seafood and Chicken Paella
- Recipe: Herb crumb bekti, tomato emulsion sauce
- Recipe: Seafood and Peeli mirch risotto
- Monsoon special recipe: Szechuan shrimp babycorn
- Recipe: Coconut Fish Curry
- Recipe:Prawn Sandwich
- Recipe: Doi Mach
- Recipe: Bhetki Macher Paturi
- Recipe: Mustard Fish
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Lebanon's Hezbollah urges backing for fight against IS
- Mbose SSLC 10th Results 2015: Meghalaya Board (mbose.in & megresults.nic.in) Class 10th exam results 2015 to be announced today on May 25
- Mbose HSSLC 12th Arts Results 2015: Meghalaya Board (mbose.in & megresults.nic.in) Class 12th Arts exam results 2015 to be announced today on May 25