Recipe: Italian Cassata
Savour the sumptuous Italian Cassata ice cream.
• 1 Litre vanilla ice cream
• 300 ml Cream
• 1/2 tsp Almond essence
• 1/2 Cup toasted almonds
• 50 gm Dark chocolate
• 2 tbsp Sugar
• 1/2 Cup glace fruit, chopped
• Soften the ice-cream and combine the almond essence with it.
• Line the base and sides of 1 litre pudding basin leaving a cavity in the centre for the fruit mixture.
• Freeze till firm.
• Whip cream and sugar together till the peaks form.
• Now chop chocolate and almonds.
• Fold the chopped fruit, chocolate and almonds into the whipped cream.
• Fill the cavity of the ice cream with it.
• Cover it with foil and freeze till firm.
• Just before serving, dip the basin into very hot water, quickly 2 or 3 times then invert and shake sharply onto a serving plate.
• Cut Cassata into wedges and serve.