Try this south Indian recipe for a yummy breakfast.
Ingredients for Dosa batter:
• 2 cups - Idli rice or parboiled rice
• 1/2 cup - Skinless split urad daal
• 1/2 teaspoon - Methi seeds (Fenugreek seeds)
• 1 tablespoon - Salt
Add parboiled rice and methi into one large vessel containing sufficient water for soaking. Then soak urad dal in water in a separate vessel. Soak for 6-7 hours or overnight.
Then grind the contents from both the containers separately to a smooth paste adding water as required. After grinding the urad dal, add it to the main batter container and mix well. Add water as required until you get a pouring consistency.
Now salt and mix well. Cover and keep aside in a warm place for at least 7 hours. During this time the batter raises and reaches approximately two and a half times the original volume. So make sure you use a big enough container for the dosa batter.
Ingredients for masala:
• 4 nos - Potato, medium sized
• 1 to 2 - Onion, medium sized long thinly sliced
• 12 nos - Small green chilies. Split them at the center
• 1/4 tsp - Turmeric
• Salt to taste
• 1/4 tsp - Mustard
• 1 tsp - Urad dal
• 1 1/4 tsp - Chana dal (yellow split peas)
• 10 nos - Curry leaves
• 2 tbsp - Coriander leaves
• 1 tbsp - Ghee
• 2 tbsp - Oil
Cut the potatoes each into 2 pieces with the skin intact and cook them in a cooker until one whistle. Then peel the skin of the potato and smash or squeeze them coarsely by hand and set aside.
Heat oil in a khadhai or a pan amd add mustard. When the mustard starts popping or bursting add urad dal and chana dal. Keep stirring for a minute and then add onion, curry leaves, green chilies and turmeric. Saute for around 10 minutes. Add Salt and 1/2 cup water and stir well. Add the mashed potato, coriander leaves, ghee and mix well. Now take the pan of the heat and the potato subji is done.
How to make the dosas:
1. Take a dosa tava or a non-stick pan and put it on a medium to high heat.
2. Apply few drops of oil on the pan. Take a piece of cloth and rub it all over the surface of the pan to grease it. Do this step for each dosa.
3. Now sprinkle a little bit of water with your hand. Wait for the water to crackle and evaporate. This ensures that the Dosa will spread evenly and not break because the pan is too hot. Do this step for each dosa.
4. Take 1/4 cup of dosa batter and gently pour this batter onto the center of the pan.
5. Now begin to spread the batter in sweeping circular motions to form a circle. Do not be alarmed if the Dosa develops tiny holes as you spread the batter. This is normal.
6. Apply oil and ghee over the surface of the dosa and also around its edges. If you wan tyou can hold the pan by its handle, lift up and swirl it so as to make the drizzled oil spread all over the Dosa.
7. After a minute or two you will see the the thinner part of the dosa is turing dark brown. This indicates that the dosa is coming out crispy and is almost done.
8. Now smear a little bit of the red masala chutney on the dosa as shown in the picture. the quantity of this chutney depends on how spicy you want the dosa to be.
9. As the last step add the onion potato subji to the center of the dosa and flip the 2 sides of the dosa one over the other such that the subji is covered. The dosa is now ready to be served.