Recipe: Red Velvet Cake
How about making a classic red velvet cake for your Valentine?
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
4 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Grease two 9 inch round pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Cream shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar WELL. Add eggs and beat well.
Make a paste of cocoa and red food coloring. Add to creamed mixture. Mix salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla and buttermilk together. Add alternately the flour with the milk mixture to the creamed mixture. Mix soda and vinegar and fold into cake batter. don`t beat or stir now.
Bake for 30 minutes.
To Make Icing:
Cook 5 Tablespoons flour and milk over low heat till thick, stirring constantly. Let it cool thoroughly! While cooling, cream 1 cups sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat this well till light and fluffy. Add to flour mixture and beat until of a good spreading consistency. Don`t ice the cake till it is cool.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Filmmakers should learn from 'PK', says Chinese daily
- Tamil actress Leena Maria Paul arrested in Rs 20 crores cheating case
- I read scripts as cinegoer, not as a filmmaker: Karan Johar
- 'Zaroori tha' will reach wider audience as Bollywood song: Rahat Fateh Ali Khan
- `Rock On 2' to release in September next year
- Recipe: Tropical Caribbean Cooler
- Recipe: Goan Prawn Curry With Raw Mangoes
- Recipe: Raw Mango Rasam
- Recipe: Coconut Lavender Lemonade
- Recipe: Summer Mango Cooler
- Recipe: Tender Coconut Mocktail
- Summer Drink Recipe: Savona Fuzz
- Summer drink recipe: Southern Belle
- Recipe: Blueberry lemonade
- Recipe: Cucumber lemonade
- Recipe: Jeera Lassi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation?
- Ranchi: JSEB asks man to pay electricity bill of Rs 55 crore
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Service tax rate of 14% comes into effect from today
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- Zee Media conducts reality check of public places smoking ban
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- PM Narendra Modi-led panel likely to select CIC, CVC chiefs today
- Heatwave: Things you must know
- Caught on camera: Jharkhand health minister slaps RJD leader in public
- ISIS rapists pour boiling water on teenage victim's leg for refusing sex
- PM Modi told China, Pakistan economic corridor unacceptable: Sushma Swaraj
- Watch: The grand trailer of Rana Daggubati's `Baahubali`
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in
- Why Karan Johar signed Varun Dhawan instead of Salman Khan for ‘Shhuddhi’
- Narendra Modi to become first Indian PM to visit Israel