A Chewlecious Tom Kha Prawn Soup
For the paste
30g pieces of galangal peeled
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 stalk of lemongrass, bruised
Small bunch of fresh coriander leaves, chopped and roots reserved
1 medium green chili, remove seeds first, then roughly chop
3 fresh kefir lime leaves
For the soup
100ml coconut milk
1 Tea spoon fish sauce
6 tiger or king prawns, shelled and de-veined
50 grms evoke mushrooms
50 grms shimeji mushrooms
100g noodles regular
1-2 limes juice
Salt to taste
Thai basil leaves or coriander
1 red chili, sliced
- Blend the paste ingredients in a food processor until smooth and set aside.
- For the soup, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the paste in it over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and fish sauce, add the stock and bring to a simmer. Then add the
- Prawns, mushrooms and noodles and allow them to cook in the broth for 5 minutes or until the prawns have turned pink and opaque and the noodles have cooked.
- To serve, add the lime juice to the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the drained noodles between four bowls and ladle over the soup.
- Garnish with the Thai basil leaves or coriander leaves and sliced chili. Squeeze over a little more lime juice to taste.
This recipe has been contributed by Executive Chef of Chew Pan Asian Cafe.