Recipe: Tri Colour Burfi
Feel enthusiastic, feel patriotic, try out Tri Colour Burfi and surprise your family and friends.
2 cups Khoya
¼ cup milk
1cup All purpose flour-
3 cups Sugar
¼ cup Ghee
Green and orange colours
• Fry khoya and all purpose flour in ghee over a slow flame for 5 minutes. Divide into 3 equal parts.
• Make syrup of 1/3 sugar and enough water to 1 string consistency. Add one portion of khoya to the all purpose flour mixture and stir well over a low heat. Add 1 pinch of green colour(mixed with some milk) and stir well.
• Keep heat to minimum, start preparing second layer. In another vessel, make syrup in the same way, add khoya/all purpose flour mixture, stir well. There is no need to add colour to this layer.
• The first layer will be ready by now. Remove from gas, stir briskly and transfer to a greased plate. Spread well (evenly). By this time second layer will be almost ready. Now you may start making syrup for third layer, keeping heat to the minimum. Stir briskly and spread the second layer on the first layer and press well. This layer should be softer than the first and third layers
• By this time the third layer will be almost ready. Stir briskly and transfer the contents on the second layer. Now press the layers hard, with the help of an even bottomed thick plate or vessel for 5 minutes and let the vessel remain on burfi for some time so that all layers stick together firmly. After 20 or 25 mins, cut into square pieces, a sharp knife. Remove the pieces carefully, with all the layers intact when still warm.