Recipe: Vegetarian Shami Kabab
(American measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
1 cup dried black chickpeas/kala chana
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped or minced
1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp red chili powder
1 green chili, finely chopped
½ tbsp ginger paste
½ tsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp chickpea flour/besan
Oil for frying the kababs
1. soak the black chickpeas in water overnight of for 6-7 hours.
2. drain and pressure cook the chickpeas with enough water and salt till they are thoroughly cooked.
3. let the pressure settle down in the cooker.
4. drain the cooked chickpeas now.
5. in a large bowl add the chickpeas and mash them with a wooden spoon or a blender or your hands.
6. just make a semi coarse mixture and not too smooth.
7. add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
8. make into small round shaped kababs or patties.
9. shallow fry the kababs in medium hot oil till crisp and browned on both sides.
10. you can also bake the kababs with a drizzle of oil for a healthier version.
11. garnish kababs with mint leaves and serve hot.
12. serve veg kababs with onion-mint salad along with slices of lime and some mint chutney.
You can also make the kabas with chana dal or both chana dal and black chickpeas. when frying, for testing first fry one kabab in the oil. if it doesn't break than you can safely fry the remaining kababs. if it does break, then add some more chickpea flour/besan to the mixture.
(The recipe has been shared by Hangout Cafe)