This fiery chicken recipe is the representative non-vegetarian dish of Tamil Nadu.
• 1 kg Chicken (washed and chopped into fine pieces)
• 3/4 inch Ginger
• 2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
• 1½ tsp Black Peppercorns
• 1½ tsp White Poppy seeds
• 2 tsp Coriander Powder
• 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
• 2 twigs of Curry Leaves
• 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
• 4 Onions (medium-sized)
• 2 tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
• ¾ cup Tomatoes (chopped)
• 4 Green Chilies
• Salt to taste
• Smear the chicken pieces with turmeric powder and salt.
• Now heat the oil in a large pan.
• Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, poppy seeds, green chilies, and curry leaves to it.
• Sauté and take out the spices. Keep it aside.
• Now add finely chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste in the remaining oil.
• Fry till the onions turn golden brown.
• Now tomato, coriander powder, sauted spices and chicken to the above.
• Add salt according to taste and fry the mixture for another 5 minutes.
• Put the lid and let the chicken cook for about half an hour.
• The gravy would turn almost dry.
• Occasionally add little water, if required.
• When the chicken becomes tender, put off the flame.
• Serve piping hot.