`Hunger Games` crosses $300m mark at box office to top Easter weekend
New York: The Hunger Games continued to reign at the weekend box office for a third straight time, grossing an estimated 33.5 million dollars.
The ensemble action-adventure flick with 302.8 million dollars in the domestic bank, is the second-fastest nonsequel to reach the 300 million dollars mark.
Meanwhile, the Titanic 3-D rerelease was left not only looking up at the year’s biggest blockbuster, but Stifler’s mom too in ‘Pie’ sequel.
American Reunion took second place with a strong 21.5 million dollars Friday-Sunday debut.
Titanic 3D settled for third with 17.4 million dollars, an amount that at once isn’t bad for a 14-year-old movie, and isn’t great for an Oscar-winning classic that earlier ruled as Hollywood’s all-time moneymaker.
Titanic fell short even among 3-D rereleases.
The Leonardo DiCaprio-Kate Winslet movie failed to challenge the opening-weekend record posted last year by The Lion King (30.2 million dollars), and it failed to match this past winter’s debut of Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace (22.5 million dollars), E! Online reported.
The complete rundown of the weekend’s top movies, per Friday-Sunday domestic estimates as reported by the studios and BoxOfficeMojo.com is as follows:
`The Hunger Games`, 33.5 million dollars
`American Reunion`, 21.5 million dollars
`Titanic 3D`, 17.4 million dollars
`Wrath of the Titans`, 15 million dollars
`Mirror, Mirror`, 11 million dollars
`21 Jump Street`, 10.2 million dollars
`Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax`, 5 million dollars
`Salmon Fishing in the Yemen`, 975,000 dollars
`John Carter`, 800,000 dollars
`Safe House`, 581,000 dollars
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Janatha Garage', 'Kirik Party' bag top honours at IIFA Utsavam 2017
- My mother is Divyanka Tripathi's fan, says Sonakshi Sinha
- Alia Bhatt on latest Grazia cover is UNMISSABLE!
- Academy retains PwC, takes steps to avoid another Oscars fiasco
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Karisma Kapoor's shopping PIC defines sister squad goals!
- Meri Pyaari Bindu FIRST LOOK out! Parineeti Chopra and Ayushmann Khurrana set for a quirky tale
- Aamir Khan to sign a whopping Rs 20 cr 'Dangal' deal with Netflix?
- Salman Khan wraps up first schedule of 'Tiger Zinda Hai', bids goodbye to freezing Austria!
- Anushka Sharma – Diljit Dosanjh starrer ‘Phillauri’ keeps ‘spirits’ high, earns moderately at Box Office
- Phillauri box office report: Anushka Sharma's 'ghostly' avatar mints Rs 19 cr so far!