`The Collection` - not for the faint-hearted
This film is not for the faint-hearted, but for horror lovers who can digest stomach curdling and brutal mindless killings. It is about killing and torturing as many people as possible in the most brutal, graphic and pointlessly violent ways possible.
From the makers of ‘Saw’ and ‘The Collector’, ‘The Collection’ is actually a sequel to these films. But ‘The Collection’ is not really a film that solely depends on knowledge from the previous films.
For the uninitiated: Masquerading with a large black-leather-mask, the psychopath has a passion for torture and murder. He is The Collector. A guy who literally collects his victims, throws them into a red trunk, brings them home, slices them, dices them, sews them back together, pumps them full of drugs, keeps them in cages, chases them and often keeps the results suspended in large fish tanks.
Though ‘The Collection’ has a similar setup of a trap house and all, this time it is more exciting as majority of the action is placed inside the hideout of the collector, which turns the film into more of a funhouse of horror traps and grizzly images, flipping the series on its head. It may or may not be worth your time, but it is a mean, lean, horror flick that keeps you hooked.
The film is set in a town from where many residents have gone missing. But there are a few crazy kids who won`t let fear drag down their spirit of fun. One of those kids includes Elena (Emma Fitzpatrick), the daughter of a wealthy man named Mr. Peters (Christopher McDonald). Emma and her friends jam up for a rave at an old abandoned hotel located in the secluded section of the town.
This is the Collector`s Den, a booby-trapped killing resort. The Collector has turned this abandoned hotel into one giant killing machine, where he traps the patrons and kills just about all of them using various torture mechanisms.
Here Elena accidentally finds the box Arkin (Josh Stewart) was being kept in as everyone who is still dancing is massacred by The Collector. Arkin barely escapes with his life, but is soon ambushed by Lucello (Lee Tergeson) and his men who work for Elena`s father. Lucello only has a certain span of time before Elena dies and Arkin is the only one who knows how to save her - that is the crux of the story.
It`s not that everything works in favour of ‘The Collection’. While the gore continues to be the highlight, the spectacular traps that no man would be able to pull off on his own even if he had two or three lifetimes to do it are just out of control. There are few story elements that are introduced without real payoff or even heavy influence on subsequent plot points. Also, some of the more `shock value` specimens in the killer`s museum are silly to the point of distraction.
To add to the torture, there problems in the editing of the film: there is static sound in the beginning, blurry images of a gruesome murder and TV news reporting the incident. Also, during the narration, there are times in the scene where the legs and upper torso were out of sync with the camera angle, creating confusion for viewers.
In a nutshell, ‘The Collection’ is brainless, inconsistent, and the narration is riddled with gaping holes. It offers gore in tonnes. Watch if you love slasher porn, there is absolutely nothing else to enjoy in this film.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- U2 tour manager Dennis Sheehan dies in LA hotel
- Subhash Ghai to receive IIFA Lifetime Achievement award 2015
- Tabu will bring whole new energy to 'Fitoor': Abhishek Kapoor
- Michael Gambon to play Winston Churchill in ITV drama
- 'PK' collects $7.03 mn in China
- I am a fan of Tom Hanks: Al Pacino
- A movie about Mumbai Film Festival
- Karan Johar starts promoting 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil'
- Check out: Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser to release tonight!
- Watch: Ranveer, Anushka's love story in new 'Dil Dhadakne Do' dialogue promo
- 'Baaghi': Tiger Shroff, Shraddha Kapoor turn rebels in love!
- Lindsay Lohan avoids jail with 125 hours of community service
- Remo D’Souza is now on Twitter!
- Jacqueline Fernandez in love with Salman Khan’s eyes
- Salman Khan to tweet in Hindi, Urdu
- Check out: Shah Rukh Khan, AbRam’s selfie
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- Playing Kashibai emotionally draining for Priyanka Chopra
- Shraddha Kapoor visits 'Baaghi' set ahead of shoot
- Salman Khan thanks Aamir, Shah Rukh for 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' poster release
- 'Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya blaze'
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi