`The Wolverine` tops weekend box office charts with $55m earnings
Washington: Hugh Jackman starrer `The Wolverine` has opened up at first place at US weekend box office with earnings amounting to 55 million dollars, according to studio estimates.
`The Wolverine,` set in Japan earned another 86.1 million dollars overseas.
Chris Aronson, Fox`s head of domestic distribution, said that the film`s opening-week take has already surpassed the 120 million dollars that it cost to make, Fox News reported.
Last weekend`s top movie, Warner Bros.` low-budget horror `The Conjuring,` landed on second place, after adding another 22.1 million dollars to its kitty, while `Despicable Me 2` reached third position with 16 million dollars.
Top 10 box office earners:
1. ` The Wolverine,` - 55 million dollars
2. ` The Conjuring ,` - 22.1 million dollars
3. `Despicable Me 2,` - 16 million dollars
4. `Turbo,` - 13.3 million dollars
5. `Grown Ups 2,` - 11.5 million dollars
6. `Red 2,` - 9.4 million dollars
7. `Pacific Rim,` - 7.5 million dollars
8. `The Heat,` - 6.85 million dollars
9. `R.I.P.D.,` - 5.85 million dollars
10. `Fruitvale Station,` - 4.65 million dollars