Andy Serkis in talks to direct live-action `Jungle Book` movie
Los Angeles: Actor-filmmaker Andy Serkis is in negotiations with Warner Bros to direct a live-action adaptation of Rudyard Kipling`s `The Jungle Book`.
The British actor - best known for his role as Gollum in the `Lord of the Rings` and `Hobbit` movies - replaces Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, who was previously in talks to direct but pulled out due to scheduling conflicts,reportedly.
`Rush` director Ron Howard was also a brief contender for the director position in February.
Adding Serkis to the project puts Warner Bros` version of the classic novel back on the map, as Disney is planning a live-action adaptation of its own which is currently at the casting stage.
Jon Favreau is attached to direct the Disney feature and already has Idris Elba on board to voice Shere Khan, the man-eating tiger.
`The Jungle Book` would mark Serkis`s feature directorial debut, although he is also working on a film adaptation of George Orwell classic Animal Farm and served as second unit director on the two `Hobbit` movies.
Disney famously released its animated movie in 1967 and it was followed by a live-action film in 1994, starring Jason Scott Lee as Mowgli.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shraddha Kapoor breaks the style code in latest Harper's Bazaar cover! – See pic
- Monsoon getaway: Bigg Boss contestant Mandana Karimi rocks in white while holidaying in Goa- See pic
- Monsoon trouble for shoes? Best tips to save your footwear this rainy season
- 'Rustom': The re-invention of Akshay Kumar
- Milkha Singh launches 'Read India' initiative
- 'Sultan' promo out: Salman Khan gets defensive for Shah Rukh Khan! - Watch
- Shahid Kapoor-Alia Bhatt's 'Udta Punjab' steady at Box Office, mints Rs 57.56 crore!
- 'Sultan': Spectacular Anushka Sharma as a bride will win your heart!- See full pic
- 'Shorgul' not to be released in Muzaffarnagar
- I will produce Hollywood films in future: Vashu Bhagnani