Azerbaijan wins Eurovision 2011
London: For the first time, ex-Soviet Azerbaijan has topped this year’s ‘Eurovision Song Contest 2011’ in Germany after scoring 221 points for its love song, ‘Running Scared’.
Eldar Gasimov and Nigar Jamal were voted Europe’s favourites after viewers from all 43 competing nations voted for their favourite song by phone or text message, which accounted for half of each country``s vote.
A five-member expert jury in each participating country determined the other 50 percent.
It is the first time that Azerbaijan had won the contest in its 56-year history, having only joined Eurovision in 2008.
Although Jamal was born in Azerbaijan, she currently lives in north London with her husband and two daughters.
“I am the happiest man in the world”, the BBC quoted Gasimov as saying on receiving the trophy.
Last year`s winner Lena Mayer-Landrut who represented Germany again, finished at 10th place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Badshah's Hindi cover of Justin Bieber’s 'Sorry' is out and, dayum, it's addictive!
- Max Landis writing 'Pepe Le Pew' movie!
- LOL: Never ever say these annoying things to a tall person! – Watch video
- Boyfriend material! Five signs that prove he is the ideal one for you
- Katrina Kaif in her little 'Twilight' zone with Robert Pattinson! Pic inside