Dan Stevens to play Darcy in `Pride and Prejudice` spin-off
London: Former `Downton Abbey` star Dan Stevens is set to take the coveted role of Darcy in a `Pride And Prejudice` spin-off.
The 30-year-old actor, who played Matthew Crawley in the hit TV show, has been linked to the lead role in another period drama, an adaptation of ‘Death Comes to Pemberley’ by PD James, reported Daily Miror.
The book was written as a sequel to Jane Austen`s classic and set six years after the end of the story.
However, he is facing tough competition from `Les Miserables` star Eddie Redmayne, Hugh Dancy and `Thor` actor Tom Hiddleston.
If Dancy wins the role from Stevens he could be acting opposite his real life wife as Claire Danes is said to be in the running to play Darcy`s partner Elizabeth Bennet.
Danes even has the backing of the project`s producer David Thompson, who insists being an American won`t hamper her chances.
"Yes, she`s American but of course she can do British. She is also married to a Brit," he said.
Darcy has previously been played on screen by Colin Firth, Matthew Macfadyen and Laurence Olivier, while Keira Knightley has previously played Bennett on the big screen.
Filming on `Death Comes to Pemberley` is due to begin in Britain this summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I'm looking at 'Ittefaq' as new film: Sonakshi Sinha
- Phillauri box office collections: Anushka Sharma-Diljit Dosanjh's 'spirited' saga has minted this much so far!
- Ranbir Kapoor as a boy scout in 'Jagga Jasoos' latest PIC! Can you spot him?
- Shah Rukh Khan to clash with Akshay Kumar at the Box Office!
- Shraddha Kapoor – Arjun Kapoor sizzle as a couple in ‘Half Girlfriend’ First Look