Ernest Borgnine to receive lifetime achievement award
London: Veteran actor Ernest Borgnine is set to receive a lifetime achievement award from the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), for his contribution to the world of cinema.
The 93-year-old star, who won an Oscar award for his role in the 1955 film `Marty`, has appeared in more than 200 movies during his lengthy career, BBC reported online.
SAG president Ken Howard said Borgnine still had "boundless energy" and boasted an "impressive body of work".
"Whether portraying brutish villains, sympathetic everymen, complex leaders or hapless heroes, Ernest Borgnine has brought a boundless energy which, at 93, is still a hallmark of his remarkably busy life and career," Howard said.
The Americana actor, whose career has spanned nearly six decades was an unconventional lead in many films of the 1950s and was also very popular on the small screen acting in series` like `McHale`s Navy` and `Airwolf`.
Borgnine will collect his honour at an awards ceremony in Hollywood on 30 January.
"It is with that same joyous spirit that we salute his impressive body of work and his steadfast generosity," Howard said.
Borgnine began his career on stage after World War II and his performance as a bullying police officer in 1953`s `From Here To Eternity` shot him to fame, followed by his success in `Marty` two years later.
His latest film, `Red`, which also stars Helen Mirren and Morgan Freeman, is due to hit theatres in October. Previous recipients of SAG`s lifetime achievement award have included stars like Julie Andrews and Clint Eastwood.
Last year the award was presented to former `Golden Girls` star Betty White.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shraddha Kapoor breaks the style code in latest Harper's Bazaar cover! – See pic
- Monsoon getaway: Bigg Boss contestant Mandana Karimi rocks in white while holidaying in Goa- See pic
- Monsoon trouble for shoes? Best tips to save your footwear this rainy season
- 'Rustom': The re-invention of Akshay Kumar
- Milkha Singh launches 'Read India' initiative
- 'Sultan' promo out: Salman Khan gets defensive for Shah Rukh Khan! - Watch
- Shahid Kapoor-Alia Bhatt's 'Udta Punjab' steady at Box Office, mints Rs 57.56 crore!
- 'Sultan': Spectacular Anushka Sharma as a bride will win your heart!- See full pic
- 'Shorgul' not to be released in Muzaffarnagar
- I will produce Hollywood films in future: Vashu Bhagnani