Oscar winning animator Frederic Back dies
Los Angeles:Oscar-winning animator Frederic Back has lost his battle with cancer. He was 89.
The two-time Academy Award-winner passed away at his home in Montreal in Canada, reported Los Angeles Times.
Back began his career as an artist and illustrator in the graphics department of Radio-Canada`s first-ever TV station. He moved into films in 1970, when he produced his first animated short, `Abracadabra`.
In 1981, following five other shorts, Back was nominated for a best animated short Oscar for `Tout Rien` (All Nothing).
His next project `Crac` won him an Academy Award in 1982 and he brought home a second Oscar in 1988 for `L`homme qui Plantait des Arbres` (The Man Who Planted Trees).
His last Oscar nod came in 1994 for `Le fleuve aux grandes eaux` (Mighty River).
In recognition of his career success, he was later named a Knight of the National Order of Quebec and an Officer of the Order of Canada.
Back was also known for his activism in the fight for animal rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'A Wednesday' veterans Anupam Kher, Naseeruddin Shah spar over Kashmiri Pandits - Details inside
- Priyanka Chopra shares throwback pic of her nani on her 94th birthday! – View pic
- Nandita Das bats for rating system in certifying films
- Darshan Kumaar, Randeep Hooda and Vijender Singh showcase 'Jat power punch'! See pic
- Vidya Balan looks enchanting as Geeta Bali in 'Ekk Albela' poster! – View pic
- Star cast of Jimmy Sheirgill's 'Shorgul' out in this brand new poster! – View pic
- Witness woman power in full glory in 'Housefull 3'! Watch video
- Harshvardhan Kapoor’s Bollywood debut 'Mirzya' to release on October 7!
- Randeep Hooda-Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's 'Sarbjit' mints Rs 22.09 cr at Box Office!
- 'Banjo' motion poster: Watch the brilliant backdrop flavoured with powerful Indian beats!