‘Pirates of the Caribbean-4’ earns record $256m at global box office
New York: After one week of its release, The ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ sequel ‘On Stranger Tides’ has earned a record 256 million dollars worldwide, making it the fourth largest global opening ever.
‘On Stranger Tides,’ the fourth ‘Pirates’ installment, earned 90.1 million dollars domestically. Its combined worldwide total is 346.4 million dollars, fourth largest global opening ever, The New York Daily quoted Walt Disney co. as saying.
“The whole play of this particular movie was based on a worldwide release because of our feeling of how strong the international marketplace would be. Johnny is not just a domestic star. Johnny is an international star,” Chuck Viane, head of distribution at Disney said.
Viane also said that the result vindicated the franchise`s new look, and that audiences loved the rebooted attitude.
Although the movie had the best North America opening of the year, the international revenue was the larger story.
“This proves the importance of the global marketplace,” said Paul Dergarabedian, box office analyst for Hollywood.com
The film earned the most in Russia, China and India, accounting for 52.6 million dollars. It set an all-time record in Russia, taking in 28.6 million dollars.
The film also benefited from higher ticket prices for 3-D showings, but more importantly from IMAX screenings, which the movie set a global, record for IMAX with 16.7 million dollars internationally.
“On Stranger Tides” was the only new film in wide-release last weekend.
According to Hollywood.com, the estimated ticket sales for last weekend at U.S. and Canadian theaters:
1. ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides’, 90.1 million dollars.
2. ‘Bridesmaids’, 21 million dollars.
3. ‘Thor’, 15.5 million dollars.
4. ‘Fast Five’, 10.6 million dollars.
5. ‘Rio’, 4.7 million dollars.
6. ‘Priest’, 4.6 million dollars.
7. ‘Jumping the Broom’, 3.7 million dollars.
8. ‘Something Borrowed’, 3.4 million dollars.
9. ‘Water For Elephants’, 2.2 million dollars.
10. ‘Tyler Perry`s Madea`s Big Happy Family’, 990,000 dollars.