‘The Help’, ‘The Artist’ win top honours at Screen Actors Guild Awards
Washington: Civil rights drama ‘The Help’ was the big winner at the 18th Screen Actors Guild Awards held at Los Angeles on Sunday, scooping the top prizes for best actress, best supporting actress and best ensemble.
The film, which tells the story of an aspiring journalist who decides to write a book exposing racism faced by domestic help in the 1960s, beat black-and-white silent movie ‘The Artist’, ‘Bridesmaids’, ‘The Descendants’ and other films that had been expected to win top honours.
While Octavia Spencer walked home with the award for the Outstanding Female Actor in a Supporting Role for ‘The Help’ Christopher Plummer won the award for Outstanding Male Actor in a Supporting Role in ‘Beginners’.
Alec Baldwin bagged the award for Outstanding Male Actor in a Comedy Series for ‘30 Rock’, Us magazine reported.
Betty White won Outstanding Female Actor in a Comedy Series for ‘Betty White’ and ‘Hot in Cleveland’, with ‘Modern Family’ winning Outstanding Ensemble in a Comedy Series.
Kate Winslet got the award for Outstanding Female Actor in a TV Movie or Miniseries for her role in ‘Mildred Pierce’ while Paul Giamatti got it for Outstanding Male Actor in a TV Movie or Miniseries for ‘Too Big to Fail’.
Mary Tyler Moore was given the Life Achievement Award at prestigious award function.
The winners of the SAG awards were:
Actor: Jean Dujardin, ‘The Artist’
Actress: Viola Davis, ‘The Help’
Supporting actor: Christopher Plummer, ‘Beginners.’
Supporting actress: Octavia Spencer, ‘The Help.’
Cast: ‘The Help’
Stunt ensemble: ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.’
Actor in a movie or miniseries: Paul Giamatti, ‘Too Big to Fail.’
Actress in a movie or miniseries: Kate Winslet, ‘Mildred Pierce.’
Actor in a drama series: Steve Buscemi, ‘Boardwalk Empire’
Actress in a drama series: Jessica Lange, ‘American Horror Story’
Actor in a comedy series: Alec Baldwin, ‘30 Rock.’
Actress in a comedy series: Betty White, ‘Hot in Cleveland.’
Drama series cast: ‘Boardwalk Empire’
Comedy series cast: ‘Modern Family.’
Stunt ensemble: ‘Game of Thrones.’
Life Achievement: Mary Tyler Moore
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss 10: Manu Punjabi’s fiancée and Monalisa’s boyfriend make an appearance
- Himesh Reshammiya, Iulia Vantur join forces for 'Every Night And Day' from 'Aap Se Mausiiquii'
- Karan Johar opens up about his love life!
- Sonam Kapoor looks ravishing in Shantanu & Nikhil design!
- Non-bailable warrant against 'Bigg Boss 10' contestant Om Swami cancelled!
- Opening day Box Office collections of Vidya Balan's 'Kahaani 2' are out!
- Box Office report: Shah Rukh Khan, Alia Bhatt's 'Dear Zindagi' nears Rs 50 crore mark
- Mahira Khan's role chopped in big Bollywood debut 'Raees'—Here's all you need to know
- Sonam Kapoor to play Madhuri Dixit in Sanjay Dutt's biopic?
- Here's how Ranbir Kapoor will be transformed into Sanjay Dutt for Baba's biopic!