Warner Bros, Johnny Depp to revive `Shantaram`?
Los Angeles: Johnny Depp is reportedly reviving the adaptation of Gregory David Roberts` famous India-set novel `Shantaram` with Warner Bros.
Depp with his Inifinitum Nihil partner Christi Dembrowski and GK Films` Graham King will kickstart the project again after several failed attempts earlier.
According to Deadline, Depp himself jump started the project by courting Edgerton for the lead role which he once intended to play.
The studio bought the movie rights for `Shantaram` for USD 2 million in 2004 but the movie adaptation was derailed by the writer`s strike in Hollywood.
Indian-American filmmaker Mira Nair was attached to direct the project and she has often expressed her desire to bring it back but the studio is yet to find a director.
Edgerton will play the lead role, which is inspired by Roberts` own life. The character starts as an Australian heroin addict who escapes a prison and arrives in India where he reinvents himself as a doctor in Mumbai slums.
Edgerton was last seen playing Tom Buchanan in Baz Luhrmann`s `The Great Gatsby`. He also starred in `Zero Dark Thirty`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- HC refuses to stay summons to 'Jolly LLB 2' team
- Rangoon: Saif Ali Khan’s interview with ‘Shopkeeper’ Gaurav Gera is hilarious – Watch
- Ranbir Kapoor looks exactly like young Sanjay Dutt in leaked PICS from the biopic!
- Toilet - Ek Prem Katha: New still featuring Akshay Kumar, Bhumi Pednekar out
- 'Badrinath Ki Dulhania' promotions: Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt take Jaipur by storm - Watch