Why Benedict Cumberbatch starred in `12 Years a Slave`
New Delhi: Benedict Cumberbatch has revealed that he choose to act in the slavery drama ` 12 Years a Slave` because he felt sorry for the fact that his ancestors were involved in the slave trade.
The 37-year-old actor also gave the same reason for taking up ` Amazing Grace ` a movie about the fight to eliminate the slave trade in UK, PVR Pictures reported.
In the highly-acclaimed drama, which bagged a Golden Globe and has earned nine Oscar nominations, Cumberbatch plays the role of plantation owner and slave owner.
A NYC cop had recently revealed that Cumberbatch`s fifth great-grandfather owned her ancestors on an 18th century sugar plantation on Barbados.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Priyanka Chopra's 'Quantico' to talk about Donald Trump, immigration policies
- Paul Walker was like an older brother to me: Scott Eastwood
- 'Bigg Boss 10' winner Manveer Gurjar is disappointed with Aakanksha Sharmaa! - Watch
- Salman Khan has always stood by me as friend: Raveena Tandon
- Sunil Grover OUT of 'The Kapil Sharma Show'? Here's the TRUTH
- Anushka Sharma and Diljit Dosanjh's 'Phillauri' makes Rs 12 cr ahead of its release! Here's how
- Lara Dutta Bhupathi to play a single mother in her next
- Vidya Balan was destined to do 'Begum Jaan': Srijit Mukherji
- 'Golmaal Again' team meets 'Smurfs: The Lost Village' and you have to see the PICTURE!
- Raveena Tandon's 'Maatr' first look poster OUT!