Why Benedict Cumberbatch starred in `12 Years a Slave`
New Delhi: Benedict Cumberbatch has revealed that he choose to act in the slavery drama ` 12 Years a Slave` because he felt sorry for the fact that his ancestors were involved in the slave trade.
The 37-year-old actor also gave the same reason for taking up ` Amazing Grace ` a movie about the fight to eliminate the slave trade in UK, PVR Pictures reported.
In the highly-acclaimed drama, which bagged a Golden Globe and has earned nine Oscar nominations, Cumberbatch plays the role of plantation owner and slave owner.
A NYC cop had recently revealed that Cumberbatch`s fifth great-grandfather owned her ancestors on an 18th century sugar plantation on Barbados.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Darshan Kumar excited to share screen space with Aishwarya
- I can't talk about 'Half Girlfriend' script: Kriti Sanon
- Hrithik lauds Deepika, Ranbir for 'Tamasha'
- Ranbir-Deepika 'Tamasha' mints Rs 10.87 crore on opening day
- I've nothing to do with Shahrukh Khan-Kajol's chemistry in 'Dilwale': Varun Dhawan