George Harrison documentary to get Oct debut on HBO
Los Angeles: A new George Harrison documentary featuring home movies, interviews and never before seen material will make its debut in October on HBO, the cable channel said on Wednesday.
Produced by Oscar-winner Martin Scorsese and Harrison`s widow Olivia, ‘George Harrison: Living in the Material World,’ traces the life of the late Beatle from his musical beginnings in Liverpool to his fame with the Fab Four in the 1960s as well as his work as a philanthropist and filmmaker.
Harrison died of lung cancer in 2001 in Los Angeles at the age of 58. Although often referred to as the quiet Beatle, he wrote hit songs like ‘Here Comes the Sun’ and ‘Something’ for The Beatles before playing with the 1980s supergroup, Traveling Wilburys.
The 3-1/2 hour documentary includes interviews with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr as well as Eric Clapton, Yoko Ono, Phil Spector and record producer George Martin, among others. It will air in two parts on HBO on October 5 and 6, and be released in Britain on October 10 on DVD and Blu-Ray through Lionsgate, Lionsgate UK said.
Scorsese, whose music projects include ‘The Last Waltz’ in 1978 about the final concert of The Band, and the Rolling Stones documentary ‘Shine a light,’ said he had long been a fan of Harrison.
"So when I was offered the chance to make this picture, I jumped at it. Spending time with Olivia (Harrison), interviewing so many of George`s closest friends, reviewing all that footage, some of it never seen before, and listening to all of that magnificent music -- it was a joy, and an experience I`ll always treasure," Scorsese said in a statement.
A book accompanying the documentary will be published in late September featuring photos, letters, diaries and other memorabilia from the personal archives of Olivia and George Harrison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why the Indian film fraternity obsessed with the Oscars, asks Manoj Kumar
- 'Daughters of Mother India' wins big at the CAM International Film Festival
- Tiger Shroff wishes 'Happy Diwali' in unique 'HappyFeet' dancing style!
- Sidharth Malhotra opens up about 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' controversy, says 'it's unfortunate'
- Kamaal R Khan rips apart Ajay Devgn's 'Shivaay', leaks opening scene online
- Shah Rukh Khan to appear with ‘Dear Zindagi’ co-star Alia Bhatt on Karan Johar’s ‘Koffee With Karan’?
- Bigg Boss 10: Rohan Mehra instigates India wale Manu Punjabi, Navin Prakash and Manveer Gurjar
- Arjun Bijlani's 'Pardes Mein Hai Mera Dil' shoot stalled by Shah Rukh Khan fans
- Priyanka Chopra downs tequila shot on Television, quips about how Indians love spirits
- 'How I Met Your Mother' inspired by 9/11 attacks, revealed creators