Hitting a woman shows cowardice, says Aamir Khan
Mumbai: Actor Aamir Khan believes that men have to change first if we want to combat violence against women. Domestic violence, he said, shows “cowardice” and is not acceptable.
The actor recently sent a video message to endorse the cause of the One Billion rising campaign, a movement to end violence against women, said a statement.
“I believe that to combat violence against women, we men will first have to change. Raising our hand to strike a woman does not increase our masculinity. Instead, it shows cowardice,” Aamir said in the video.
The campaign was proactive last year as well and organised many street plays to promote awareness of violence against women.
“Last year on 14 February, about one billion people in 207 countries rose, sang and danced to this demand. But gang rapes, molestations, dowry deaths, abuse and many more such violence against women have continued,” said Kamla Bhasin, who is the campaign lead for South Asia.
“We are not going to let that drag us down. On 14 Feb 2014 one billion women, men and children everywhere will rise, protest, dance, and demand justice,” she added.
This year too, campaigners, activists, NGOs, schools, colleges, artists and citizens across India have created plans for flash mobs, street plays, signature campaigns, public events, combating violence against women in the public and private spaces.
Srijanatmak Manushi Sanstha (SMS), a non-profit organisation that works towards the holistic development of women and children, will organise local awareness campaign, nukkad natak (street-corner plays), flash-mob dance, short film screenings between Feb 8 to Feb 14.
Azaad Foundation that runs the only-women driver cabs will also organise a street play and a car rally across Delhi Feb 1-14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Woah! Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur to share longest kiss in 'Fitoor'
- Katrina Kaif breaks silence over break-up with Ranbir Kapoor, here's what she has to say
- Gujarati theatre actor Markand Bhatt passes away
- I am not in awe of Kareena Kapoor Khan: Arjun Kapoor
- Hope to come up with rock album in year or two: Aditya Roy Kapoor
- Woho! Kapil Sharma to be back with new show
- Salman Khan’s surprise visit stuns Katrina Kaif, ‘Comedy Nights LIVE’ team – Watch
- Miley Cyrus tapped as 'key adviser' for 'The Voice'
- When Salman Khan visited Katrina Kaif on the sets of ‘Comedy Nights LIVE’
- Krushna Abhishek breaks his silence on replacing Kapil Sharma