Hitting a woman shows cowardice, says Aamir Khan
Mumbai: Actor Aamir Khan believes that men have to change first if we want to combat violence against women. Domestic violence, he said, shows “cowardice” and is not acceptable.
The actor recently sent a video message to endorse the cause of the One Billion rising campaign, a movement to end violence against women, said a statement.
“I believe that to combat violence against women, we men will first have to change. Raising our hand to strike a woman does not increase our masculinity. Instead, it shows cowardice,” Aamir said in the video.
The campaign was proactive last year as well and organised many street plays to promote awareness of violence against women.
“Last year on 14 February, about one billion people in 207 countries rose, sang and danced to this demand. But gang rapes, molestations, dowry deaths, abuse and many more such violence against women have continued,” said Kamla Bhasin, who is the campaign lead for South Asia.
“We are not going to let that drag us down. On 14 Feb 2014 one billion women, men and children everywhere will rise, protest, dance, and demand justice,” she added.
This year too, campaigners, activists, NGOs, schools, colleges, artists and citizens across India have created plans for flash mobs, street plays, signature campaigns, public events, combating violence against women in the public and private spaces.
Srijanatmak Manushi Sanstha (SMS), a non-profit organisation that works towards the holistic development of women and children, will organise local awareness campaign, nukkad natak (street-corner plays), flash-mob dance, short film screenings between Feb 8 to Feb 14.
Azaad Foundation that runs the only-women driver cabs will also organise a street play and a car rally across Delhi Feb 1-14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arjun Kapoor's early birthday celebrations on the sets of 'Half Girlfriend'! Pic inside
- Find out which day of the week is dedicated to which Lord!
- Govinda chose 'The Kapil Sharma show' over 'Comedy Nights Live'—Here's why?
- Want a better life? Practice these 5 habits – Watch video
- IIFA 2016: Salman Khan spilling hotness in brand new hair-cut and elegant suit! – Pic inside
- Have learnt a lot from Govinda: Kapil Sharma
- Oops! No 'Sultan' promotions by Salman Khan on 'The Kapil Sharma Show' - Here's why
- Nana Patekar to soon introduce Anil Kapoor's '24' season 2!
- Superhero 'Captain Vyom' to be relaunched on digital platform
- New season of 'Shaktimaan' will show origin of superhero!