I am not a tax evader: Kapil Sharma
Mumbai: Comedian Kapil Sharma, who was recently questioned by the Service Tax department for alleged non-payment of tax amounting to nearly Rs 60 lakh, today said that he is not "a tax evader".
"I am very upset with reports saying that I am a tax evader. Service Tax department imposed tax on the artistes in July last year, and I have already paid Rs 35 lakh towards the tax. I have to pay the remaining Rs 30 lakh which is due in October," Kapil said.
He said that he was surprised why such a hue and cry was made over this non-payment, as it pertained only to the Service Tax and not the Income Tax.
"I will pay the remaining amount," he added.
Last week, the Service Tax Department authorities said that he had not remitted the tax amounts that he collected from the organisers of his programs.
Pic Courtesy: Twitter
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Hollywood’s Favorite Bollywood Choreographer’ Nakul Dev Mahajan to judge DID North America 2015
- From Bittu to Bajirao- Ranveer Singh’s filmi journey
- Police to lodge FIR against star cast of 'Mohalla Assi'
- Is `Dabangg` Khan upset over missing IIFA 2015?
- Salman Khan attends Baba Siddiqui's Iftar party but SRK gives it a miss