I am not a tax evader: Kapil Sharma
Mumbai: Comedian Kapil Sharma, who was recently questioned by the Service Tax department for alleged non-payment of tax amounting to nearly Rs 60 lakh, today said that he is not "a tax evader".
"I am very upset with reports saying that I am a tax evader. Service Tax department imposed tax on the artistes in July last year, and I have already paid Rs 35 lakh towards the tax. I have to pay the remaining Rs 30 lakh which is due in October," Kapil said.
He said that he was surprised why such a hue and cry was made over this non-payment, as it pertained only to the Service Tax and not the Income Tax.
"I will pay the remaining amount," he added.
Last week, the Service Tax Department authorities said that he had not remitted the tax amounts that he collected from the organisers of his programs.
Pic Courtesy: Twitter
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- Date issues keep away Katrina Kaif from doing film for Salman Khan
- Photo album: Bipasha Basu's mehendi ceremony was a starry affair!
- You can no longer bully Alia Bhatt - Here's why
- Actors are incomplete without fans: Divyanka Tripathi
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- Don't want to disappoint fans of 'Bhabhi Ji Ghar Par Hain': Shubhangi Atre
- WTH! 'The Kapil Sharma Show' to go off air soon?
- Shubhangi Atre gets nervous for 'Bhabi Ji Ghar Par Hai'!