Movie on cult TV show `Veronica Mars` gets USD 2 million fan funding
Los Angeles: Cult TV show `Veronica Mars` will receive a spin-off movie after fans of the Kristen Bell-starring drama raised more than USD 2 million in 12 hours to fund it.
Avid viewers of the TV show will get the long-rumoured spin-off movie made after show creator Rob Thomas launched a grass-roots fundraising campaign, reported Ace Showbiz.
Thomas and Bell launched the campaign on Kickstarter.Com following a game-changing deal with Warner Bros, which owns the rights to the series.
The studio said it would pick up the tab for the proposed film`s marketing and distribution if they could raise the funds to make it.
Thomas wrote on the Kickstarter page, "Kristen and I met with the Warner Bros brass, and they agreed to allow us to take this shot. They were extremely cool about it, as a matter of fact. Their reaction was, `If you can show there`s enough fan interest to warrant a movie, we`re on board`."
The modestly rated drama, which starred Bell as the titular character, a high school student who moonlights as a private investigator, was axed in 2007 after just three seasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Game of Thrones' will end, but not after 7th season
- Mira Rajput to sizzle with Shahid Kapoor on ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded’?
- Wanted to come back on TV with strong role: Mishal Raheja
- Bill Clinton to appear on 'StarTalk' season two premiere
- Dance shows on TV changed Bollywood's dancing style: Remo D'Souza