Neil Patrick Harris declined to host `The Late Show`
Los Angeles: Actor Neil Patrick Harris has revealed that he declined an offer to take over David Letterman after he departs `The Late Show`.
The 40-year-old former star of `How I Met Your Mother`, which also aired on the Cbs network, says he was at the top of the shortlist to take over for the comedian, who is set to leave his post in 2015, reportedly.
In a recent interview with Howard Stern, Harris said he met with Cbs chairman and CEO Les Moonves to discuss the possibility of the new gig, but ultimately said no due to the routine nature of a nightly job.
Harris said he would "get bored" of the format, adding, "I don`t have any interest in doing `monologue, commercial, sketch, guest, guest musical act, goodnight."
He also divulged that Moonves attempted to get him to take over from Scottish funnyman Craig Ferguson, who is also leaving his position on `The Late Late Show`, but again Harris declined.
"It`s still nightly. You`re still coming up with the same content and now you`re just getting bitter that no one`s watching it," he said.
While Moonves and fellow Cbs executives have already chosen Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman come next year, Harris told the boss that he would prefer to host a weekly variety show for the network.
Harris is currently taking a brief break from TV to star on Broadway`s `Hedwig and the Angry Inch`, for which he was recently nominated for his first Tony Award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ali Quli Mirza dedicates song to cancer-stricken kids
- Phillauri box office report: Anushka Sharma's 'ghostly' avatar mints Rs 19 cr so far!
- Bob Dylan to receive Nobel prize in Stockholm at weekend: Academy
- Rajinikanth fans to meet on April 2 for brainstorming meet
- Babumoshai Bandookbaaz teaser poster: Nawazuddin Siddiqui starrer has a rustic feel to it!
- Beyhadh written update, March 28, 2017: Maya shocks Arjun with her pregnancy news!
- Priyanka Chopra starrer 'Quantico' set for a season 3?
- ‘Kumkum Bhagya’ March 28 Update: Purab, Pragya get hold of crucial evidence against Tanu
- People find it difficult to accept TV stars in bold roles: Nia Sharma
- Raju Srivastava replaces Sunil Grover, becomes permanent member of 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?