Satyamev Jayate: Khap critic shot dead; Aamir Khan asks for Police protection for victim’s family
New Delhi: The show had so far brought positive changes in the society; but in a shocking incident, a man who had appeared on Aamir Khan’s popular show ‘Satyamev Jayate’ few months back and spoken about the evils of Khap Panchayat was shot dead in his village in Bulandshahar, UP on November 22.
The victim, Abdul Hakim, who had appeared on the show and had openly spoken against the Khap Panchayat, was shot dead by five men in broad daylight while he was on his way to the clinic to get medicines for his pregnant wife, Mehawish.
Reacting and strongly condemning Abdul’s death, actor Aamir Khan appealed to the police to provide security to Mehawish and the couple’s daughter. Mehawish has claimed that some villagers have threatened to kill her and her daughter as well.
Aamir, who is currently in Jaipur, spoke to the media and said, “I was told that Abdul`s village is in the Meerut region and I wanted to go there but can`t go right now due to my pre-scheduled programmes,” adding that he would be visiting the village in near future.
Condemning the murder, the actor said, “I have raised the issue at every possible forum and will continue my efforts to bring justice and relief to the aggrieved family.”
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the Star network of channels on which ‘Satyamev Jayate’ aired, said, "We strongly condemn the killing of Mr Abdul Hakim, who was interviewed as part of documentation for the show Satyamev Jayate, specifically for the episode ‘Intolerance to Love’. We offer our deepest condolences and sympathies to Mr Hakim`s kin and appeal to the investigating agencies to quickly bring the perpetrators of this heinous crime to book and serve justice to the family."
While Abdul’s family claimed it was honour killing, the police haven’t ruled out a case of family feud. Two people have been arrested in relation with the case, while the prime suspect is said to have gone missing.
MoS for Home, RPN Singh said that the government is seriously trying to amend the constitution for dishonour killing, EGOM report is awaited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prayers for Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa ji's health, tweets Rishi Kapoor
- How Jessica Alba takes care of her hair!
- Tom Cruise's 'The Mummy' trailer will send shivers down your spine
- Himesh Reshammiya reveals similarities between Salman Khan, Iulia Vantur
- Here's what Elena Kazan said after getting evicted from 'Bigg Boss' season 10
- Bigg Boss 10: Ranveer Singh – Vaani Kapoor entertaintain contestants; Elena Kazan gets evicted
- Bigg Boss 10: Manu Punjabi to make a comeback on Salman Khan's show?
- Bigg Boss 10: Manu Punjabi’s fiancée and Monalisa’s boyfriend make an appearance
- Kumkum Bhagya - Episode 726: Pragya slams evil trio Alia, Tanu & Nikhil
- Neither Hrithik nor Salman! Anushka to team up with Katrina Kaif on 'Koffee with Karan'