Satyamev Jayate: Manual scavenging to become history in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Aamir Khan’s ‘Satyamev Jayate’ has acted as a catalyst to bring about that much needed change in the society. To improve the degrading values and Indian customs upon which every national used to feel proud about, the show has aided to mobilise people and institutions like never before.
Latest has it that after SJ’s show on casteism and manual scavenging, Maharashtra government has planned to abolish the menace of manual scavenging completely from the state in the next two days.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday took up the matter in the Assembly. The Chief Minister said that he will meet the members of the community, who have been forced to undertake the demeaning occupation.
Sources confirm that the CM will also discuss with officials on how to enforce stricter laws. A ban on manual scavenging was passed in 1993.
Earlier on Monday, actor and `Satyamev Jayate` host Aamir Khan had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Minister for Social Justice Mukul Wasnik to discuss the plight of manual scavengers in the country. He said that the Prime Minister assured steps to curb the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bipasha Basu-Karan Singh Grover wedding: Have you seen this latest PICTURES?
- Karan Johar’s Dharma production hints at first ever love franchise
- Priyanka Chopra wore this dress for annual correspondents' dinner hosted by Barack Obama at White House – See pic
- Know who is vulnerable to online dating scams
- Dear ladies, Women's Online Shopping Festival is here to pamper you
- Would love to work with Mouni Roy again: Mohit Raina
- Actors are incomplete without fans: Divyanka Tripathi
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- Don't want to disappoint fans of 'Bhabhi Ji Ghar Par Hain': Shubhangi Atre
- WTH! 'The Kapil Sharma Show' to go off air soon?