Shah Rukh and Salman bhai watch my show: Kapil Sharma
New Delhi: The concept is fresh, the content is clean and the laughs on `Comedy Nights With Kapil` are exceedingly entertaining for the "entire family". It even gets tweets from Afghanistan. Its popularity and high TRPs have catapulted Kapil Sharma, the host and producer of the show, into a star, but the stand-up comedian says he is reaping the benefit of several years of struggle and hard work.
`Comedy Nights With Kapil` is also high on glamour as it has become the latest hub of promotions with big stars Shah Rukh Khan and Akshay Kumar pushing their films on the show.
Kapil came into the limelight after winning the third season of `The Great Indian Laughter Challenge` and since then, there has been no looking back for him.
"People noticed me when I came in `.... Laughter Challenge` seven years ago, but nobody is aware of the work that I did in theatre. People usually feel that I am an overnight star, but this is not true," Kapil said in an interview.
"Whatever I am today is because of my hard work and struggle. I did serious theatre, I also did comedy plays without taking any money and those days have made me a better person," he added.
An emcee, an actor, a host and on top of it all a stand-up comedian, Kapil wears many hats. He is satisfied with his career graph.
"I started comedy in 2005. I have seen massive improvement in myself. When I came to Mumbai in 2001, I felt there is nothing for me in this dream city. But today I think that whatever god has given is enough...and if I deserve more, god will give it to me," he said.
`Comedy Nights with Kapil` is the result of year-long planning and ideating.
"It feels great when your show is tagged as one of the highest rated on TV. Our show is Number one in the non-fiction category. I usually say that the show happened out of fun, but in reality it took us a year to come up with `Comedy Nights...`," he said.
The initial plan was for just 26 episodes but after receiving a positive response, the crew shot another 10 episodes. Now the channel has asked him to continue the show.
"We get tweets from Afghanistan saying that people love my show there. I also feel good when audiences say that after a long time, there is show that they can watch with their entire family. From the last few weeks, our show is getting the highest TRPs, but despite that every Thursday, the pressure of maintaining the same TRPs gives me sleepless night," he said.
"I am not doing any new comedy. I have given it a new packaging. Involvement and support of Bollywood make the show more fun and audience-friendly," he added.
Appreciation from superstars like Shah Rukh and Salman Khan is encouraging.
"For the first time, Bollywood is watching the show. Shah Rukh bhai watches the show when he is not travelling. Salman Khan too watches the show and gives his valuable feedback," said the comedian.
The set is designed as a house and most of the action takes place in the living room. Kapil is the main protagonist, who lives with his grandmother, aunt, wife, and servant. Cricketer-turned-politician-turned-comedy show host Navjot Singh Sidhu`s one-liners spice up the show.
Talking about the format, Kapil said: "The audience is important for any show`s success. I love talking to the audience and they like it too. Earlier, people used to come to watch the shooting, but now they request us to invite them and take a pot shot at them," he said.
"We don`t insult the audience sitting in our show. That`s just for fun and it makes our 120 crore (1.2 billion) population laugh, so what`s the harm? Our interviews and audience interaction sections are impromptu. No scripting is involved in these two segments," he added.
Kapil always wanted to be a singer and acting happened by chance. In 1998, as a first year student he joined his college`s theatre group in order to stay close to a girl.
"Later I started enjoying my work and won third position in college youth festival... This was the time when I was studying in Hindu College, Amritsar. I did my post- graduation from Apeejay College of Fine Arts, Jalandhar. After that I became the drama teacher in a girls college," he added.
His hobby has now become his responsibility.
"Comedy started as a hobby for me, soon it became a passion and now I feel the responsibility to make people laugh, even if I have to make fun of myself. Many people earn money and fame, but nothing can beat the love you get from the audience and this makes me content," said Kapil.
Who is his inspiration?
"I admire Shah Rukh and after seeing him, I feel that I have done nothing in my life. I want to adopt his qualities like hard work, dedication and the way he gives space to others. He came on my show twice, but never made me feel that he is a superstar," said Kapil, who will soon start shooting his Punjabi film.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Film fests good for spotlight: Budding Assamese filmmaker
- Documentary on A R Rahman screened at White House
- 'Baahubali' trailer to be out on June 1
- 'Massu Engira Masilamani' - Regular revenge drama with spooky twist
- 'Piku' finds success in distant Poland
- 'Demonte Colony' performs well at box office
- Shah Rukh Khan catches up on 'Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi'!
- Makers of 'Kashmora' use 360-degree camera rig
- Shilpa Shetty takes Bollywood to London via radio
- 'Gabbar Singh 2' goes on floors, Pawan to soon join
- Regional cuisines to dominate in coming year: Chef Sanjay Thomas
- Shilpa Shetty takes Bollywood to London via radio
- Dharmendra discharged from hospital, to undergo surgery later
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter family hits 15 million!
- When Anushka, Priyanka waited for the boys!
- When Shah Rukh Khan wasted an opportunity given by ‘Raees’ team
- Alia Bhatt teams up with mother for new ad
- 28 years of 'Mr. India' and Anil Kapoor still looks the same
- Shoojit Sircar is terrific: Yami Gautam
- Deepika finds Ranveer 'incredible' in 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Check out: How cute AbRam looks in Shah Rukh's shoes
- 'American Idol' was worst experience for Mariah Carey
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbseresults.nic.in working now, check your CBSE Class 10 Board Results 2015
- Watch: Young Sikh boy takes on a bully outside UK school
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Breast cancer changes bone structure to make it spread: Study
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga