Shekhar Kapur to turn narrator on small screen
New Delhi: Filmmaker Shekhar Kapur is looking forward to his new role as the narrator of politics-based reality series `Pradhan Mantri`, which aims to bring to the audience the never seen before facets of Indian history.
"We are trying to tell untold stories. History is an interpretation. In this show, we have tried to do as much research as possible. Our past leaders left behind a lot of letters, which somehow never got into print and those are the main research material used in this show," Kapur said at the launch of `Pradhan Mantri` here today.
Initially conceptualised for 23 episodes, the weekly programme will chronicle the history of India from 1947 to the present day.
`Pradhan Mantri` will be telecast every Saturday night at 10 pm from July 13 on a news channel.
"It is a story about independence with a specific point of view and we have tried and dealt with stories which still affect us and has a significance in our lives," the `Bandit Queen` helmer said.
India has had 13 Prime Ministers in these 65 years, and the 67-year-old director said the programme will attempt to present the changes in the country during their tenures.
"For me it was an eye opener. I also got to know a lot of things which I have never heard of. I know the show will be controversial because a lot of things which were buried will be brought out in this programme," Kapur said.
The director, who was last seen on the small screen as a judge of on reality show `India`s Got Talent`, said, "I feel the current generation must know what was going on. This show will provide a window to people to go out and find the truth about the past."
The news channel`s Group Editor, Shazi Zaman, said a long research, collection of rare documents and footage are some of the exclusive and strong features of the series.
He also said that special cinematography and dramatic visualisation will make the series watchable.
When asked why the channel decided to have Kapur on board, Zaman said, "The show has depth that is why we wanted someone knowledgeable and intelligent to be the face of this show. I agree he is very busy but he is also very committed towards what he does. Once he loved the concept he was completely immersed in it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' breaks into Rs 100 crore club
- Vidya Balan turns down Suchitra Sen biopic
- Disney pulls plug on 'Tron 3'
- 21 European films to be screened in Kolkata
- Mamata Banerjee remembers Rituparno Ghosh as West Bengal's pride
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- 'Ishqedarriyaan' review: An oft-seen love story
- Chris Brown sometimes hated himself
- Emilia Clarke called 'Dragon Lady' in shops
- Kangana Ranaut inaugurates first Gap store in India
- Nicki Minaj particular about sex
- Cara Delevingne poses topless for jewellery ad
- I quite like being naked: Miranda Kerr
- Men watching porn less likely to enjoy sex with real-life partners
- December 11 is the most popular day of the year to conceive
- Now have 'aquagasm' with new 'shower' sex toy
- Gisele Bundchen goes topless again
- Jessica Simpson poses in seductive way on Instagram
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian poses nude
- Secret behind Kim K's nude photoshoot revealed
- Jennifer Lawrence draws eyeballs in new photo shoot
- Keira Knightley will go topless, but on condition
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared to be declared today at 3PM