Violence against women should not be tolerated: Shabana
Tampa Bay (US): Noted actress Shabana Azmi feels violence against women should not be tolerated. The 63-year-old actress, who is associated with her NGO Mijwan that supports the girl child, participated in a session titled -- `Girl Rising Project` at the ongoing International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA) here.
"I feel sad (about the fact) that despite knowing the violent situation in marriage, often women are asked to live with it. There is a pressure to keep the marriage alive. I feel violence against women should not be tolerated," Shabana said.
The actress, however, is happy to see that today women are present in every field be it politics, corporate and others.
"Despite the presence of women everywhere it is sad that female foeticide is practised in India, not only in rural areas but in cities like Delhi, Mumbai. I think women empowerment is important and GDP of a country should be measured to the degree to women being educated," she said.
Shabana thinks education of the girl child is important as it eventually leads to the literacy of the entire family.
"One should look deep within ourselves... We should give equal opportunity to a boy and girl. We should talk to our maid or helper whether their kids especially girls are getting educated or not," the actress said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Phillauri: Anushka Sharma aka Shashi's 'ghostly presence' in a big fat Punjabi shaadi is spooky yet hilarious!
- Is that Salman Khan doing kickass action in 'Tiger Zinda Hai'?
- ‘Baahubali 2’: Prabhas, Rana Daggubati starrer creates another record!
- Narayani Shastri talks about her 'secret' marriage to British beau Steven Graver
- Is Rajinikanth supporting BJP candidate? Here’s the truth