US honour for Nirbhaya will keep the incidence fresh, says Sonam Kapoor
New Delhi: Actress Sonam Kapoor got emotional while talking about Nirbhaya, the gangrape victim who will be honoured by US first lady Michelle Obama. She said the honour will not allow people to forget the incident soon.
"Every time I talk about it, I get teary-eyed. It becomes very difficult for me to talk about it. Doing something like this to any man, woman or animal is deplorable. To honour someone, who was courageous and fought a battle, is brilliant," Sonam told reporters here.
The 23-year-old, who was brutally gang-raped and tortured in the Indian capital, died in December last year.
Nirbhaya is among 10 extraordinary women who will be honoured on the occasion of the International Women`s Day Friday with the Secretary of State`s International Women of Courage Award by Michelle Obama in Washington, US.
Nirbhaya will be awarded posthumously and Sonam said it will give give "publicity" to her, which is needed "because people tend to forget it".
"When something like this (rape) happens, there is a lot of hue and cry, but later it is forgotten. This honour will make the incidence fresh in our memory," she added.
The 27-year-old was in the capital Thursday to announce the second edition of L`Oreal Paris Femina Women Awards 2013.
Honouring women with extraordinary accomplishment, outstanding leadership qualities and exceptional commitment to their careers, the awards will be held March 19 in Mumbai.
Sonam, L`Oreal Paris`s brand ambassador, said: "The most powerful people in our country are women and we need to encourage them, who are doing so much for art, culture, and society."
She has been shooting in the capital for sometime now and believes education is important to change mindsets.
She says that as a woman she has the freedom to move around in Mumbai on her own, but her movement gets restricted in the capital.
"I am shooting in Delhi for the past six month. As someone from Mumbai, I go out whenever I want to. But when I am in Delhi, I know I can`t go out after 7:30 p.m. on my own. We cannot blame a city. The basic thing required is education.
"It is about being open, aware and start respecting women. I think illiteracy is the biggest cause of this kind of mindset. I think once people get more educated, things will change," said Sonam.
She is currently shooting for Yash Raj Films` untitled project with actor Ayushmann Khurrana in the capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Michael Caine 'never tempted to stray' from wife
- I don't jump out of a trunk naked in 'The Duff': Ken Jeong
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Neha Sharma to romance John Abraham in 'Hera Pheri 3'
- I was called silly for doing 'Fashion': Priyanka Chopra
- Anupam Kher 'admires honesty' of body shamers
- Popular porn film carries message about testicular cancer
- Alanis Morissette believes breastfeeding can be `intimidating`
- Pamela Anderson says `learned a lesson` after divorcing Rick Salomon again
- Ashton Kutcher: Don't print paparazzi pics of my baby girl
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Being Human 'Veer Campaign' to help in skill training 5 lakh people with disabilities
- This is why Cara Delevingne hates modelling industry
- Kim K to her career critics: 'Try it. I dare you'
- Novelist F Scott Fitzgerald's 'Gatsby' home up for grabs
- Taylor Swift's ex beau Joe Jonas finds Gigi Hadid dating rumors funny
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview