Beyond location, panellists debate Rajasthan in Indian cinema
Jaipur: The exotica of the mysterious Thar desert is inextricably crafted into the psyche of mainstream Indian cinema but it has yet to grow cinematic culture of its own, said panellists at a discussion at the DSC Jaipur Literature Festival Monday.
"Actor Shashi Kapoor had famously said in Deewar, `Mere paas maa hain (I have a mother)`... what do we have? Our earth and the rugged desert on which neither ice melts nor flowers bloom. But we have history, tradition, stories, dramas, ghosts, reincarnation and conflict," said actress-performer Ila Arun, a native of Rajasthan.
Participating in a discussion, ‘Rajasthan in Cinema: Beyond Locations’, anchored by film critic and writer Bhaichand Patel, she picked up three colourful leaves from Bollywood`s tryst with Rajasthan.
In 2005, actor-filmmaker Amol Palekar`s ‘Paheli’ was based on a Rajasthani short story by Vijaydan Detha. Starring Shah Rukh Khan, it was shot in Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Navalgarh and Samode.
Nearly a year later, Nagesh Kukunoor shot ‘Dor’ for 37 days across several locations in Rajasthan. The remake of a Malayalam movie ‘Perumazhakkalam’, it captured the essence of Rajasthan through the character of Meera, a conservative Hindu woman from a `haveli` in Rajasthan.
"Shah Rukh Khan came and made the film `Paheli`. We should thank him... When Rakheeji broke her bangles in the movie `Reshma and Shera`, we, the folks of Rajasthan (where the movie was shot) were her inspiration," Arun said.
The state which has been one of the favourite locales of the mainstream movie industry with classics like ‘Mera Saaya’, ‘Lekin’ and ‘Jodhaa Akbar’, however, has failed to evolve beyond its locales: it does not have a cinema of its own, Arun and filmmaker Govind Nihalani said.
Filmmaker Prakash Jha and lyricist Javed Akhtar joined Arun and Nihalani to throw light on the problems confronting regional and meaningful cinema from the perspective of Rajasthan.
Arun has own script about her favourite ghost in Rajasthan ready. "There is a ghost in every haveli and every hotel. Wait for my film...I am armed with knowledge about the state," she said.
"Rajasthan is the very state in the country- I have great love for this state. When you see it in the context of cinema - the history, values, courage, sacrifice, loyalty, monuments, temples and palaces make up the history of Rajasthan," said Nihalani, who grew up in Udaipur, said.
"But very little has been done to integrate Rajasthan, its culture and its location into the character of the film itself. In reality, beyond location, the literature of Rajasthan and the current societies have been facing the same problems that have come to us after the opening up of the economy," he added.
The filmmaker said the contemporary and traditional social structures of Rajasthan need to be brought out to the rest of India and the world.
"Rajasthan provides a good background for the adaptation of world literature in the backdrop of its society and feudal scenario," he said.
"I had once adapted Spanish playwright Federico Lorca`s play, `The House of Bernada Alba` and called it `Rukamvati ki Haveli`. If hadn`t divulged it, you wouldn`t have known it is not a story from Rajasthan. If we have to depict modern Rajasthan, then we have to make literature available in terms of translations," Nihalani said.
Rajasthan Tourism Minister Beena Kak, who was present as guest of honour, said that the stategovernment offers an incentive of Rs 10 lakh to filmmakers who shoot 60 percent of their movies in the state.
Movies like ‘The Far Pavilions’ and ‘The Octopussy’, shot in the state, had placed it on the global movie map years ago; but only as a quintessential Indian location.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Neha Sharma to romance John Abraham in 'Hera Pheri 3'
- I was called silly for doing 'Fashion': Priyanka Chopra
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' cast to rock 'Comedy Nights With Kapil'
- Shah Rukh Khan discharged from hospital after knee surgery
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record with 20.1m views in 1day
- Paul McCartney pens new songs for film adaptation of his book
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record
- 'Love birds' Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris plan to write song together
- Zayn Malik's fiancee feels 'naked' sans ring
- How 'Zaroori tha' became vital for 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'?
- Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris plan to write song together
- Sawyer Fredericks wins 'The Voice' season 8
- Jazz musician Bob Belden dies
- Florence + the Machine's rousing new song 'Delilah' released
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'