Concoted death threat? Rushdie is wrong: Gehlot
Jaipur: Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot Sunday refuted Salman Rushdie`s accusation that police concocted a supposed death threat to keep him away from the Jaipur Literature Festival.
"It is not true. The government had made all arrangements for his security because it was our duty. If we get an advisory from the centre (central government) about a threat to the life of a certain person then we have to make the arrangements for his security," Gehlot told reporters here.
Gehlot said Rushdie was a person on Indian Origin and does not require a visa to come to India.
"But if there is some threat to his life due to anger among a group of people and if feel that could affect law and order, then we have to see as it is a popular festival," he said.
Rushdie Sunday tweeted: "I`ve investigated, and believe I was indeed lied to. I am outraged and very angry."
Rajasthan Police refused to comment on Rushdie`s charge that they concocted the story about assassins from the Mumbai underworld had been hired to kill him in Jaipur.
The sources said they had intelligence inputs about the threat to the author.
"The Satanic Verses" is banned in India and some Muslim organisations have opposed Rushdie`s visit to the festival.