Washington: The latest Hunger Games franchise 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1' has earned 123 million dollars from 4,151 locations, making its worldwide total of a whopping 275 million dollars at the weekend box office.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Disney's mega-cartoon 'Big Hero 6' came in second with in its third weekend with an estimated 20.1 million dollars and early worldwide haul of 185.2 million dollars, followed by Paramount and Warner Bros.' 'Interstellar', which approached the 450 million dollar mark worldwide, grossing an estimated 15.1 million dollars in its third outing.
After topping the domestic chart last weekend, 'Dumb and Dumber To' fell a steep 62 percent in North America, grossing 13.8 million dollars for a domestic total of 57.5 million dollars, while David Fincher's box-office sensation 'Gone Girl' rounded out the top five with 2.8 million dollar earnings and 156 million dollars domestically.
Focus Features' Stephen Hawking biopic 'The Theory of Everything' did impressive business as it expanded into 140 theaters in its third weekend, grossing 1.5 million dollars to land at No. 10.
The top 10 films at the weekend box office are:
1. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1- 123 million dollars
2. Big Hero 6 - 20.1 million dollars
3. Interstellar- 15.1 million dollars
4. Dumb and Dumber To- 13.8 million dollars
5. Gone Girl- 2.8 million dollars
6. Beyond the Lights- 2.6 million dollars
7. St. Vincent- 2.4 million dollars
8. Fury- 1.9 million dollars
9. Birdman- 1.9 million dollars
10. The Theory of Everything- 1.5 million dollars