Los Angeles: 20th Century Fox has given the long-delayed 'Independence Day' sequel a go-ahead sign.
The search to look for the right actors is expected to begin immediately after Roland Emmerich finalises the deal to helm the 'ID Forever Part 1', reported Deadline.
Production is scheduled to start in May 2015 for a planned June 24, 2016 release. While it's unlikely for Will Smith to return, his on-screen sidekick Jeff Goldblum could reprise his role as he previously confirmed he's in discussions for the upcoming second film.
There is no official word on why the 'After Earth' actor turned down the sequel, but rumour suggested it's difficult to bring him back due to budget issues.
Emmerich himself said tackling the project was "a daily battle." "The budget, the schedules, the actors ...," he said.