Mumbai: India’s first sci-fi film is all set to make a comeback. And if grapevine is to be believed, the sequel to Shekhar Kapoor’s ‘Mr. India’ is going to get a bigger canvas.
Producer Boney Kapoor has been toying with the idea of a sequel of the cult film for a long time and had even approached Anurag Basu to direct the film. But source close to Boney states that he was always keen on having Shekhar Kapoor to direct the sequel.
Speaking to a daily, a source revealed, “Shekhar had prior commitments and had said that he would be present as the creative consultant on the project.” But things seemed to have changed now as Shekhar has finally given his nod to direct the film. Although the filmmaker is cautious about confirming the news on record, but he admits that he is in talks with Boney. “It is too early to talk about this. But yes, Boney and I have been talking about it often,” said the filmmaker.
Meanwhile, Boney has managed a casting coup of sorts and has convinced reigning superstar Salman Khan to be a part of the ambitious project. Boney who has always maintained that he will not make films without Salman had earlier gone on record and said, “I don’t think I can make a film without Salman. He is in ‘Mr. India 2’ and also in the sequel to ‘No Entry’.”
Rumours have it that Salman might be playing his first ever negative role in the film. The film will also have the original lead pair-Anil Kapoor and Sridevi playing important cameos.
‘Mr. India 2’ is expected to hit theatres in 2014. At present, Boney is busy converting the first part into 3D, which will be released a few weeks before its sequel.
In the first part, Amrish Puri had immotalised the evil Mogambo, so much so that his famous line- Mogambo khush hua has become a part of the popular culture now. So, can we also expect Salman to portray a character of similar stature in the second part?
Watch this space for more.
First Published: Thursday, November 08, 2012, 14:05