close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

'Midnight Rider' helmer takes responsibility of train accident

"Midnight Rider" director Randall Miller has taken the responsibility of the train accident that killed camera assistant Sarah Jones, following his guilty plea earlier this month to charges related to her death.

'Midnight Rider' helmer takes responsibility of train accident

Los Angeles: "Midnight Rider" director Randall Miller has taken the responsibility of the train accident that killed camera assistant Sarah Jones, following his guilty plea earlier this month to charges related to her death.

Numerous crew members were injured on February 20 by an oncoming train during filming of the Gregg Allman biopic. On March 9, Miller took a guilty plea from prosecutors, which included dismissing wife and "Midnight Rider" producer Jody Savin's charges in the deal, said The Hollywood Reporter.

Miller received 10 years of jail time, and his guilty plea bars him from directing a film, taking on a first AD role or supervising a film crew for the duration of his probation. The director will also perform 360 community service hours and pay a USD 20,000 fine.

"On Feb 20th, 2014, a great number of mistakes were made and the terrible accident occurred which took Sarah Jones' life. It was a horrible tragedy that will haunt me forever. Although I relied on my team, it is ultimately my responsibility and was my decision to shoot the scripted scene that caused this tragedy, Miller said in a statement.

"I pleaded guilty for three reasons: first, to protect my wife and family, second, out of respect for the Jones family and to not put them through a difficult trial, and, third, to take responsibility for my failure in not knowing that every safety measure was in place," the statement read.

Though he held the location manager, the production designer, the unit production manager, the cinematographer, assistant director and others accountable for the mishap, Miller admitted, being a helmer, he was at a bigger fault than them.

The director said he hopes other filmmaker learn from his mistake and safety measures will become the utmost priority during movie making. "I have worked in the film industry as a director for 25 years and never had a significant accident of any kind on any one of my sets. I am heartbroken over this. I hope my actions have spared the Jones family more anguish and that the onset safety measures that were lacking before this terrible tragedy will now take precedence for all in the industry." 

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions