Bowie, One Direction up for Brit awards
London: Veteran rocker David Bowie was nominated Thursday for two Brit awards alongside youngsters like One Direction, thirty years after he first won a prize at Britain`s equivalent of the Grammys.
Bowie, who turned 67 on Wednesday, is in the running for best album with "The Next Day" -- his first record in a decade -- as well as best male British artist.
British-Irish pop phenomenon One Direction are also up for two prizes at the ceremony on February 19 -- best British group and best single, for "One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks)".
They are also strong contenders for a third prize -- the global success award, which is based on international sales and which they won last year.
But it was newcomers who led the nominations, with British rockers Bastille and electro duo Disclosure competing for four awards each.
Bowie, who delighted fans last year with his surprise comeback, is at least 40 years older than any of his rivals in the male artist category -- Jake Bugg, James Blake, John Newman and Tom Odell. He won the same prize in 1984.
In the international categories, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, Daft Punk and Pink are all up for prizes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI opposes TV actor Anuj Saxena's bail plea in graft case
- Mahashivaratri: TV celebs on how Lord Shiva inspires them
- Jackie movie review: Natalie Portman imitates Jacqueline Kennedy effectively
- CONFIRMED! Deepika Padukone NOT attending the Oscars 2017
- Malayalam actress molestation case: Kerala CM pats police for nabbing prime accused Pulsar Suni
- Akshay Kumar happy with 'Tu Cheez Badi Hai Mast' song in 'Machine'!
- Anushka Sharma’s ‘Phillauri’: ‘Whats up’ - first wedding song of this season – Watch
- Maluma to donate Vina del Mar fest paycheque to fire victims
- Arjun Kapoor – Shraddha Kapoor’s ‘Half Girlfriend’ to create record with 18-minute long song!
- Justin Bieber India Purpose Tour: Varun Dhawan to attend concert