Malayalam music legend K Raghavan passes away
Thalassery: Eminent music director K Raghavan, who infused Malayalam cinema music with a local flavour through his popular numbers, died in a hospital here today.
Raghavan (99) was keeping unwell for some time and was admitted to the Co-operative hospital here a few days back, family sources said.
Known as Raghavan Master among colleagues and fans, he shot to fame through the 1950s hit `Neelakkuyil`, an early realistic movie directed jointly by Ramu Karyat and P Bhaskaran. Raghavan himself sang one of the most popular songs in that film. He had been working in the industry for more than five decades.
Since then he had rendered music for over 400 films, which included milestone Malayalam movies like `Nirmalyam`, `Utharayanam`, `Nagaramendi`, `Unniyarcha`, `Ramanan` and `Kallichellamma.`
His partnership with lyricist P Bhaskaran resulted in a large number of hits which helped many movies in the 1960s and 70s become big hits.
A staff artist of All India Radio for long, he had also made significant contributions to Malayalam light music and drama.
He was the recipient of several honours, including Padma Shree and Kerala Government`s highest film honour J C Daniel award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’ row: Bollywood celebrities slam CBFC decision
- Guardians The Superheroes movie review: Russian replica of 'X-Men' series
- 'Anaarkali of Aaarah' will appeal to all sections: Swara Bhaskar
- Vishal Bharadwaj is very sensitive: Kangana Ranaut
- Worth taking all the risk: Deepika Padukone on 'xXx: Return of Xander Cage' success
- Badrinath Ki Dulhania: Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt's quirky antics steal the show in 'Aashiq Surrender Hua'
- Akshay Kumar happy with 'Tu Cheez Badi Hai Mast' song in 'Machine'!
- Anushka Sharma’s ‘Phillauri’: ‘Whats up’ - first wedding song of this season – Watch
- Maluma to donate Vina del Mar fest paycheque to fire victims
- Arjun Kapoor – Shraddha Kapoor’s ‘Half Girlfriend’ to create record with 18-minute long song!