Anoushka to pay tribute to Delhi gangrape victim through song
New Delhi: Sitarist Anoushka Shankar is all set to perform her track on Delhi gangrape victim at a concert here on Saturday.
The instrumental piece, named after the 23-year-old woman, was developed by the musician following the horrific incident and is a part of her seventh studio album `Traces of You`.
"There is a song in the name of Delhi gangrape victim. It`s an instrumental piece, I wrote it because I just needed to play my anger.
"I was in the studio making this whole album when the incident happened. I took my instrument and started playing raagshree, which is a very introvert and dark raag. I will be playing this raag during my Delhi concert," Anoushka said.
The 32-year-old Grammy nominated sitarist will perform at the Talkatora stadium on December 14.
Anoushka said the track was her feeling about such violences faced by women.
"I was really in a dark place after hearing all the news. I was having a lot of pain and frustration. This piece is a direct response to my feelings about sexual violence. I named the song on the name of the victim," she said.
The sitraist had also launched an online campaign demanding an end to crime against women after the incident.
The paramedic was brutally assaulted and gangraped by six people inside a moving bus on December 16, last year, triggering a nationwide outrage.
She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'A Wednesday' veterans Anupam Kher, Naseeruddin Shah spar over Kashmiri Pandits - Details inside
- Priyanka Chopra shares throwback pic of her nani on her 94th birthday! – View pic
- Nandita Das bats for rating system in certifying films
- Darshan Kumaar, Randeep Hooda and Vijender Singh showcase 'Jat power punch'! See pic
- Vidya Balan looks enchanting as Geeta Bali in 'Ekk Albela' poster! – View pic
- Too funny! You can't miss this latest song 'Fake Ishq' from Akshay Kumar's 'Housefull 3' – Watch
- Was intimidated by Amit Trivedi: 'Baby Doll' singer Kanika Kapoor
- Like things to be poetic in music, says Rabbi Shergill
- Sonal Chauhan, Ankit Tiwari's new song video 'Badtameez' is must watch for every heartbroken lover!
- New song 'Da Da Dasse' from 'Udta Punjab' is thoroughly intoxicating – Watch here