Arctic Monkeys say rock-and-roll is the winner at top UK music awards
London: Indie quartet Arctic Monkeys picked up the coveted best album award and triumphed over boy band One Direction to be named best group, prompting their lead singer to claim a victory for rock-and-roll at British pop`s show of the year.
"That rock-and-roll it just won`t go away. That rock-and-roll, it seems like it`s fading away sometimes, but it will never die," Arctic Monkeys frontman Alex Turner said as he received the band`s second gong of the night for the Mastercard British album of the year.
The best group prize at London`s BRIT Awards on Wednesday was the only head-to-head between Sheffield-born Arctic Monkeys and One Direction, the five-piece band formed in 2010 on the TV singing contest The X Factor.
"There`s that fifteen quid we put on One Direction to win down the drain," Turner joked as Arctic Monkeys picked up the BRIT for best group.
Opening the event with their track "R U Mine", in the shadow of giant versions of the letters "AM", flaming and suspended in mid-air, Arctic Monkeys were performing at the BRITs for the first time despite their multiple successes there over the last eight years.
In the past, the band had responded frostily to their BRIT wins. This year, they were odds-on favourites to win both the awards they were up for, and their BRITs silverware count is now seven.
One Direction, a band targeted at a young audience and whose fans are mainly teenage girls, did not walk away empty handed, however.
The group picked up the BRITs global success award, being joined late on stage by a panting Harry Styles, one of its five members. He said he was late because he had been off "having a wee" when the prize was announced.
To particularly noisy screams and cheering at their every appearance, One Direction also walked away with the best British video award which was decided by twitter votes cast during the evening. With 17.8 million followers, dubbed "Directioners", the band`s win never looked in doubt.
"It`s the BRITS and it`s exciting," Styles said, before the group got their hands on their two mohawk-inspired black and white gongs, designed by milliner-to-the-stars Philip Treacy.
Excitement was what the organisers of the event were targeting, after last year`s ceremony failed to impress. Labelled by critics as sensible, sober and dull, even Christian Tattersfield, current chairman of the BRIT Awards committee, admitted in a British newspaper recently that the 2013 event "lacked superstars".
He was counting on an attention-grabbing performance by Katy Perry, arriving in a chariot on stage and clad in a neon Cleopatra outfit, and Bruno Mars`s energetic routine, which included dancing saxophonists, to breathe new life into the show.
Wearing a sparkling green floor-length gown, pop queen Beyonce, also sung her track "XO". Her appearance was not confirmed ahead of the show but was widely leaked to the press.
The best British male solo artist award category was won by David Bowie, 67, thirty years after he last held the title. He beat up and coming names such as Jake Bugg, 19, and Tom Odell, who is 23.
Absent from the ceremony, veteran artist Bowie nominated British supermodel Kate Moss to accept the prize on his behalf. Reading from a script written by Bowie, she finished with the words: "Scotland stay with us".
Bowie`s plea was the evening`s only nod to politics. Scotland will vote on September 18 on whether to become an independent country, ending a 307-year union with England and splitting from the rest of the UK.
Ellie Goulding, who three years ago performed at the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge`s wedding reception, won the best British female solo artist award, before wowing the audience with an electric performance in a gold bra and white hot pants.
The best British single award went to drum and bass dance collective Rudimental featuring Ella Eyre for "Waiting All Night", while pop act Bastille took home the British breakthrough act prize.
For the first time, the BRITs also had a global audience with YouTube streaming the show live worldwide in addition to the usual broadcast on Britain`s commercial channel ITV .
The BRITs harnessing of social media reflects the growing digital revenues powering the British music industry. Figures released earlier on Wednesday show that revenues in the UK recorded music sector rose 1.9 percent 730.4 million pounds in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rebel Wilson sparks Mickey Gooch Jr dating rumors
- A miniseries from "The Wire" creator set to start in August
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Andrea Riseborough to be female villain in 'The Crow' reboot?
- Reese Witherspoon in talks for 'Tink'
- Johnny Depp snubs claim of fleeing 'Pirates 5' sets to save marriage
- Reese Witherspoon to star in Disney's new Tinker Bell
- This is why Cara Delevingne hates modelling industry
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield hold hands post split
- Kim K to her career critics: 'Try it. I dare you'
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record
- Kanye West donates $133,000 to art institution
- Mark Ruffalo to receive award at Giffoni film fest
- Being single is good: Jennifer Lopez
- Aishwarya stuns in Elie Saab gown for amfAR Gala
- Anushka Sharma, Priyanka Chopra share girly love on Twitter!
- I acted inexcusably: Josh Duggar on molestation allegation
- Dubsmash: Salman Khan’s tribute to Shatrughan Sinha
- Shah Rukh Khan undergoes knee surgery, thanks fans for support
- My next prank on Brad Pitt might get me arrested: George Clooney
- Having children not my priority currently: George Clooney
- Dwayne Johnson leaves honoured with handprint ceremony
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'