Classical music duo mesmerise Dehradun residents
Dehradun: Their soulful singing left the audience spellbound as Rajan and Sajan Mishra put up a rare performance at a function held to mark the 150th birth anniversary year of Pt Madan Mohan Malaviya.
The Khayal exponents, conferred with the Padmabhushan, sang a Shiv stuti (Shiva prayer) in Raag Jhinjhoti, an evening melody, both divine and romantic in nature.
They began with an elaborate Vilambit (slow-paced first half of a Khayal rendering) and moved on to the Drut (fast paced later half) with ease.
Displaying remarkable poise as the Raag unfolded slowly, the maestros surprised the audience with their soulful singing as it progressed, interspersing their performance with sharp "meends" and intricate taans.
Rajan Mishra was brilliant in both lower and and higher notes while Sajan Mishra`s blistering "Swar taans" brought on loud cheers from the audience.
Held by the Banaras Hindu University Alumni Association (BHUAA), the function at the ONGC auditorium here last night was attended by a host of eminent persons from different fields including Mahamandaleshwar Shree Swami Gurusharnanandji Maharaj and former Uttarakhand Assembly Speaker Harbans Kapoor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Zaroori tha' will reach wider audience as Bollywood song: Rahat Fateh Ali Khan
- Jason Derulo's 'Want to Want Me' tops UK Singles Chart
- Apple in talks to sign Drake, David Guetta as guest DJs for iTunes radio
- Adam Levine bares booty in Maroon 5's new music video
- Kendrick Lamar kicks fan off stage for not knowing the lyrics