I`m proud to be from Bihar: Daler Mehndi
Patna: Bhangra singer Daler Mehndi, who performed at the closing of the three-day Bihar Diwas celebrations here, says he is proud to be born in Patna.
"I am proud that I`m from Patna Sahib (Patna City). It is only your love that has given us this opportunity to perform back in my hometown," Mehndi told a crowd while performing last night.
Born in Patna City (now Patna Sahib), the 45-year-old rose from the bylanes of the Patna Sahib gurudwara to become a performer of international stature.
"I come from the bylanes of Harmandir Gali and Gurudwara Gali in the Patna Sahib, the holy birthplace of Sri Guru Govind Singhji, I have now reached this level. But, I do not consider myself a celebrity or a star. All my learning of raag and taal took place here in Patna," the singer said.
Sporting a pink turban and a black robe, Mehndi brought the curtains down to the three-day extravaganza by belting out his 90s chartbusters. He also mixed famous Bollywood numbers with old popular Bhojpuri tracks.
So, a `Jod Ka Jhatka` from `Action Replayy` was laced with `Kaun disa main leke chal hai batohiya` from the landmark Bhojpuri film `Nadiya Ke Par`. Or, a `Na Na Na Na Na Re Na Re` was fused with vernacular strains of `Chalat Musafir Moh Liye Re` from `Teesri Kasam`.
"I have seen him growing up in the bylanes of Harmandir Gali, and his days of struggle in Patna City of those days when he used to sing there," said Mridula, who attended the concert.
Earlier in the evening, Hindustani classical music singer Shubha Mudgal entertained the crowd with her songs. Her tracks like `Abke Sawan`, `Mann Ke Manjeere` and `Rangeelo Maro Dholna` made Mudgal an instant hit among the audience.
The festival also saw Bollywood singers Sonu Nigam and Alka Yagnik performing on the first and second day respectively. Started a few years ago, Bihar Diwas 2013 marks the hundredth anniversary of the foundation of the state which was born on March 22, 1912.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Feel sad to not see KKR at Eden: Shah Rukh Khan
- Anushka Sharma feels 'terrible' on being sick, misses fun with DDD boys
- Anil Kapoor, Ranveer Singh cheer for MI, Farhan Akhtar wants to catch a sixer
- Anushka Sharma has evolved as an actor, person: Ranveer Singh
- Haryana to set up three museums
- 'Mohenjodaro' wraps up 101 days of shoot in Bhuj
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' a world-class film: Anil Kapoor
- Every single child is unique: Priyanka Chopra
- Salman Khan to attend sister's reception in Himachal
- 'Andaaz' clocks 12 years; Priyanka Chopra, Lara Dutta nostalgic
- Dwayne Johnson sets selfie world record
- Haryana to set up three museums
- Indus Valley script numerical, not language: Historian
- Rajkumar Hirani produces his sister's play
- Ramayana miniatures go on show in Canberra
- Teenagers throws spotlight on social issues through theatre
- Paul Walker's 'Fast and Furious' Supra auctioned off for USD 185K
- No winning or losing in art: Helen Mirren
- 'Jungle Me Mangal': Matheran culture fest opens Thursday
- Lost 'My Fair Lady' songs to be performed after 60 years
- 'Hamilton' wins 2015 OBIE Award
- Music, performing arts festival near Pune from May 29
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened