Jagjit`s ghazals run through my veins: Chitra Singh
New Delhi: Together they created magic with their voices and now a year after Jagjit Singh`s death, wife Chitra is paying him a musical tribute by bringing out an album of his unreleased songs this October.
Chitra stopped singing and quit the limelight for a quieter life following the death of their son Vivek in 1990. But she says Singh`s music never really left her.
"I remember him every moment, there is not one thing that I can`t think of. His ghazals run through my veins," Chitra told PTI in an interview.
The album `The Master and His Magic` is being released on Singh`s first death anniversary on October 10 by Sony music.
The album contains eight original, unreleased compositions by Singh. Chitra says the recordings came to her through an admirer.
"We have this friend of ours in Ahmedabad who has been a fan of Jagjitji since a very long time. He had a collection of Jagjit`s unreleased songs from various performances lying with him and he handed them over to me. None of them were studio recordings, so I had to work on restoring and re-mastering of these recordings," says Chitra.
"This album is a tribute from me to Jagjitji and a gift to millions of his fans. These songs were sung at different time periods during Jagjitji`s live performances between say late 80s and mid 90s. To give his fans something new, Jagjitji used to present new compositions every time," she adds.
Chitra, who complemented Singh in memorable duets like "Yeh Tera Ghar, Yeh Mera Ghar", "Tum Aao To Sahi", "Woh Nahin Milta Mujhe" and "Lab-e-Khamosh Se", is also part of the album but not as a singer.
"I am not a part of this album but you will be able to hear me. However, I would not like to divulge any details. The lyrics have been penned by India`s greatest lyricists Wasim Bareilvi, Farag Roohvi, Ghalib and the ghazals take us through the different phases of Jagjitji`s life."
Ask her about the possibility of bringing out more albums of the singer and Chitra says, "May be, but right now we are happy about `The Master and His Magic`."
The world remembers Singh as one of the greatest singers but Chitra says he was very grounded in real life.
"He was an extremely humble person, he was humility personified," she says.
Apart from the album, Chitra is also planning to open a foundation on the singer`s name to keep his memory alive.
"Jagjitji was very fond of children, I would like to take the responsibility of 20 poor children and form a foundation in his name. Apart from preserving memorabilia and music, the prime objective will be to educate and take care of children. But everything depends on the government grant that we have applied for now."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Malay cuisine perfect for Indian market: Malaysian chef
- 'Maggie' review- Engaging zombie film
- Tochi Raina to raise funds for Nepal quake victims
- Facing media not easy: Amitabh Bachchan
- Comedian-actor Reynaldo Rey dies
- Actor Wally Cassell dies
- Michael Jackson's Neverland ranch on sale for USD 100 million
- Harrison Ford flies for first time since crash
- 'Welcome 2 Karachi' review- troublesome twosome
- Kangana, Shahid to star in Vishal Bhardwaj's next?
- Charlie Weber marries fiancee
- Jyotika and I may act together next year: Suriya
- 'Indian' sequel on the cards: A.M. Rathnam
- Naren turns baddie for 'Aranmanai 2'
- Taapsee Pannu to don khaki in Selvaraghavan's 'Kaan'
- 'Baahubali' trailer to launch in Dolby Atmos sound
- Miss India UAE Nivetha debuts in 'Oru Naal Koothu'
- 'Gour Hari Dastaan' to release on August 14
- Don't have time for Bollywood: Venkat Prabhu
- Anjali is Balakrishna's heroine in 'Dictator'
- 'Legend' success cemented my career in Telugu filmdom: Sonal Chauhan
- Pawan Kalyan sports bearded look for 'Gabbar Singh 2'
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org