Lata Mangeshkar cuts an album for Jain community
Mumbai: Lata Mangeshkar has recorded an album of bhajans and chants for the Jain community and she got herself a linguistic teacher to guide her through all the traditional devotional chants.
Lata says doing album was a special challenge.
"Somewhere they felt that their religious teachings and mantras have so far not been properly articulated. I am happy and relieved that they think my rendition does justice to their sacred teachings," she said.
The process was time-taking but for the 84-year-old it is never too late to learn.
"It wasn`t easy, I can tell you that. But getting the pronunciation and diction absolutely right has always been important for me. Early in my career, I had got myself Sanskrit and Urdu teachers who would come to my recordings at studios to sit and teach me the languages during the breaks," Lata said.
"Years later when I recorded the `Bhagavad Gita` for my brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar, I hired another Sanskrit teacher to make sure that I got the nuances correct," she added.
Lata feels it`s very important to be 100 percent correct in articulating religious and spiritual thoughts.
"Centuries of thoughts go into these teachings. One can`t be careless with religious sentiments. I am happy to learn languages through my singing and to polish up my diction. Every artiste remains a student all her life. I am no exception," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why Katappa killed Baahubali? Sathyaraj answers the question! - Watch
- Sushmita Sen grooving to Ed Sheeran's 'Shape Of You' is the coolest thing you will WATCH today!
- Ranbir Kapoor thanks Gauri Khan for making his 'first home' more special, pens heartfelt message!
- Kapil Sharma to be warned by Air India for unruly behaviour?
- Anushka Sharma and Diljit Dosanjh’s ‘Phillauri’ picks up steam at the Box Office
- Vidya Balan's 'Begum Jaan': 'Prem Mein Tohre' by Asha Bhosle highlights Anu Malik's musical brilliance
- Ranveer Singh and Rajkummar Rao jamming the 'Trapped' rap is a bonus for fans!
- Sonakshi Sinha in 'Gulabi 2.0' song from 'Noor' will pep up your boring day!
- Noor: Sonakshi Sinha lets her hair down, teases video of song 'Gulabi 2.0'
- Every film with AR Rahman is special journey, says Mani Ratnam