Lata Mangeshkar cuts an album for Jain community
Mumbai: Lata Mangeshkar has recorded an album of bhajans and chants for the Jain community and she got herself a linguistic teacher to guide her through all the traditional devotional chants.
Lata says doing album was a special challenge.
"Somewhere they felt that their religious teachings and mantras have so far not been properly articulated. I am happy and relieved that they think my rendition does justice to their sacred teachings," she said.
The process was time-taking but for the 84-year-old it is never too late to learn.
"It wasn`t easy, I can tell you that. But getting the pronunciation and diction absolutely right has always been important for me. Early in my career, I had got myself Sanskrit and Urdu teachers who would come to my recordings at studios to sit and teach me the languages during the breaks," Lata said.
"Years later when I recorded the `Bhagavad Gita` for my brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar, I hired another Sanskrit teacher to make sure that I got the nuances correct," she added.
Lata feels it`s very important to be 100 percent correct in articulating religious and spiritual thoughts.
"Centuries of thoughts go into these teachings. One can`t be careless with religious sentiments. I am happy to learn languages through my singing and to polish up my diction. Every artiste remains a student all her life. I am no exception," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jayalalithaa death: Telugu stars mourn Amma's loss!
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan becomes a showstopper at Manish Malhotra's birthday bash!
- Zaheer Khan and Sagarika Ghatge – Five photos of the rumoured couple
- Katrina Kaif presses for gender equality at UN Women event!
- Parineeti Chopra, Shraddha Kapoor turn black beauties and we can't stop gushing over it!
- Making of 'Dhaakad Girls' SONG from Aamir Khan's 'Dangal will inspire you!
- Himesh Reshammiya, Iulia Vantur join forces for 'Every Night And Day' from 'Aap Se Mausiiquii'
- 'Dear Zindagi' new track 'Love you Zindagi Club Mix' will give you serious partying goals! Watch the making
- It’s out! Aditya Chopra’s favourite song from ‘Befikre’
- Alia Bhatt's 'Let's Break Up' song from 'Dear Zindagi' is like a therapy!