Legendary bhajan singer Juthika Roy in hospital
Kolkata: Legendary bhajan singer Juthika Roy, who enthralled the likes of Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru with her enchanting voice, is undergoing treatment at a city hospital for age-related ailments.
The 92-year-old singer is admitted to the city`s Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratisthan.
"She was admitted earlier in the month with breathing and other problems. Her condition is better although she has developed some infections," her sister-in-law Arati Roy told IANS Sunday.
"She has developed urinary tract infection... she has also grown weak. Doctors have been taking special care of her and her condition is better now," a hospital spokesperson said.
Even as the city and West Bengal is on the tenterhooks following the hospitalization of legendary Bengali actress Suchitra Sen, who is getting visitors of the likes of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Roy continues to battle for her life away from the limelight.
Roy, who immortalized bhajans like "Ghunghat ka pat khol" and "Pag ghungharu bandh Meera nachi" was conferred the Padma Shri in 1972.
Mentored by Kazi Nazrul Islam and noted music director Kamal Dasgupta, Roy was requested by none other than the country`s first prime minister Nehru to continue singing on the radio as he unfurled the Tricolor on India`s first Independence Day.
"The prime minister had sent in a request that I was to keep singing till he reached Red Fort and hoisted the Tricolour. I went back to the AIR station... sang some seven-eight songs," the legendary singer recalled in an interview.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- First day of Bollywood Music Project ends with a bang
- Amit Trivedi's father passes away, friends Vishal-Shekhar step in for him at Bollywood Music Project
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil'—Celebrate heartbreak ala Ranbir Kapoor-Anushka Sharma in 'Channa Mereya' song! Watch now
- 'Rock On!! 2' band member Shraddha Kapoor aka Jiah releases her new single 'Tere Mere Dil'! Watch now
- Zayn Malik shares the reason for quitting One Direction