Legendary bhajan singer Juthika Roy in hospital
Kolkata: Legendary bhajan singer Juthika Roy, who enthralled the likes of Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru with her enchanting voice, is undergoing treatment at a city hospital for age-related ailments.
The 92-year-old singer is admitted to the city`s Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratisthan.
"She was admitted earlier in the month with breathing and other problems. Her condition is better although she has developed some infections," her sister-in-law Arati Roy told IANS Sunday.
"She has developed urinary tract infection... she has also grown weak. Doctors have been taking special care of her and her condition is better now," a hospital spokesperson said.
Even as the city and West Bengal is on the tenterhooks following the hospitalization of legendary Bengali actress Suchitra Sen, who is getting visitors of the likes of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Roy continues to battle for her life away from the limelight.
Roy, who immortalized bhajans like "Ghunghat ka pat khol" and "Pag ghungharu bandh Meera nachi" was conferred the Padma Shri in 1972.
Mentored by Kazi Nazrul Islam and noted music director Kamal Dasgupta, Roy was requested by none other than the country`s first prime minister Nehru to continue singing on the radio as he unfurled the Tricolor on India`s first Independence Day.
"The prime minister had sent in a request that I was to keep singing till he reached Red Fort and hoisted the Tricolour. I went back to the AIR station... sang some seven-eight songs," the legendary singer recalled in an interview.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brad Pitt joined Angelina Jolie, kids on Cambodia trip
- Haseena FRESH STILL! Shraddha Kapoor's fierce act and brother Siddhant's Dawood avatar will surprise you
- Cheti Chand 2017: Significance of the Sindhi New Year
- Ugadi 2017: Here’s how the Telugu, Kannada New Year is celebrated
- Kapil Sharma’s troubled ‘love story’ triggered fight on flight with Sunil Grover?
- Parineeti Chopra makes spectacular singing debut with 'Maana Ke Hum Yaar Nahin' from 'Meri Pyaari Bindu'! - Watch
- ‘Baahubali 2’ songs out! Check out the Jukebox here
- Vidya Balan's 'Begum Jaan': 'Prem Mein Tohre' by Asha Bhosle highlights Anu Malik's musical brilliance
- Ranveer Singh and Rajkummar Rao jamming the 'Trapped' rap is a bonus for fans!
- Sonakshi Sinha in 'Gulabi 2.0' song from 'Noor' will pep up your boring day!